wireless not working - new installation

Okay, so this happens to me kind of a lot, first on my desktop, now on this
laptop to which I am transferring my system.

On my desktop, I get round some of these problems with an external wifi
adapter (an old C.Crane WiFire antenna). Whenever I pack up my desktop, then
I will be able to try it out on the laptop, too, but for now that is a big
hassle.

Problem is, I actually have wireless with the laptop, and the signal is
stronger than with my wifi antenna on my desktop. But after installing TDE
and getting out of the xfce desktop, the wifi works through two or three
reboots, then suddenly it says I have problems with dbus, or that I am not
authorized to manage networking, etc.

I enabled the non-free and contrib packages in the repositories, and I already
got all the packages that I am supposed to need for wireless networking, and
this helps ... for a while. But like I said, after a couple of reboots, the
wireless disappears. I believe that it still works if I go into the xfce
desktop, so why doesn't my tdenetworkmanager or wicd or anything seem to
work?

I've already gone through the usual troubleshooting tricks, iwconfig,
ifconfig, etc. When I try to enable wireless, why do I get an error message
that txpower is "wrong syntax"? Also, I expected that the name of the
wireless connection would follow Beowulf/Buster with wlx-something. I hear
that Chimaera/Bullseye is supposed to wlps20, but after installing TDE, I
find that it has somehow reverted to Jessie-style names, wlan0 ... which
doesn't seem right. I don't have anything but Devuan Chimaera installed.

My laptop is a Lenovo Ideapad 3 15.6", 8 gb DDR. Everything is factory, except
that I upgraded the internal hard drive from a 128 gb to a 2 tb. It's one of
those newer SSDs.

Please feel free to trim. I just tried to include everything that seemed like
it could be signficant. Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Bill