Re: wireless not working - new installation

On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:40:26 -0800
William Morder via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I've already gone through the usual troubleshooting tricks, iwconfig,
> ifconfig, etc. When I try to enable wireless, why do I get an error message
> that txpower is "wrong syntax"? Also, I expected that the name of the
> wireless connection would follow Beowulf/Buster with wlx-something. I hear
> that Chimaera/Bullseye is supposed to wlps20, but after installing TDE, I
> find that it has somehow reverted to Jessie-style names, wlan0 ... which
> doesn't seem right. I don't have anything but Devuan Chimaera installed.

wlan0 (and eth0) are the default names branded into the kernel.  Unless a specific
kernel command-line option is passed, udev or equivalent overules the default
during the boot process.  So there's nothing intrinsically wrong with those names—
Devuan probably just sets "net.ifnames=0".

Now, what do you know about the wireless hardware itself?  Do you know
what driver it uses?  The chipset (I think you may have said previously, but I
don't remember)?  Is it one of the rfkill-encumbered chipsets? Is
wpa_supplicant installed, or are you genuinely trying to configure everything
via wireless_tools (iw*)?

E. Liddell