Re: wireless not working - new installation

On Saturday 25 December 2021 14:26:22 E. Liddell wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2021 11:40:26 -0800
>
> Now, what do you know about the wireless hardware itself?  Do you know
> what driver it uses?  The chipset (I think you may have said previously,
> but I don't remember)?  Is it one of the rfkill-encumbered chipsets?

Qualcomm Atheros Wireless Network Adapter
64 bits

I already installed the firmware, and it worked, both in xfce and in the TDE
desktops. Then after a few reboots (during which I neither installed nor
removed anything), it suddenly stops, and all the network icons say network
is disabled.

sudo lshw -C network
yields this:

*-network DISABLED

sudo rfkill unblock wlan
(in any combination) seems to do nothing. I made little changes to the file:
/etc/network/interfaces
which accomplished nothing, so I restored the original configuration, and
still nothing.

> Is
> wpa_supplicant installed, or are you genuinely trying to configure
> everything via wireless_tools (iw*)?
>
> E. Liddell

I never did manage to get wpa_supplicant to work right. Usually I can depend
on wicd-gtk, if nothing else, but it seems that it won't work any more in
chimaera/bullseye (although I found it in the sid repositories). So I purged
wicd, and still nothing. I tried restarting networking, network-manager, etc.

On Beowulf/Buster, I had problems with the tdenetworkmanager. I would actually
prefer to stick with TDE, but it seems to prefer systemd. I believe it was
yourself who suggested that I could use elogd (is that the name?) and do
without systemd. I thought that I would give Debian and systemd a try, since
I have a much more up-to-date machine to work with, but it was a still a pain
in the seat of my behind to get Debian to work (as I forget about those
non-free packages).

The thing is, I have a fairly limited period of time to get this working
right, so that I can make a few trips. If I can at least get Devuan working,
then later I can try out Debian and systemd on top of that working
configuration.

Bill