Re: mystery missing dependencies

On Friday 17 December 2021 12:35:51 Michael Howard via tde-users wrote:
> On 17/12/2021 20:25, William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > The follow packages have unmet dependencies:
> > tdemultimedia-trinity : Depends: libarts1-xine-trinity
> > (>=4:14.0.11-0debian11.0.0.+0) but it is not installable
>
> Did you try a dry run on libarts1-xine-trinity to see what that gives you?

Oh yeah, duh, about Whonix. I wasn't sure that you were the same Michael,
because that email didn't give your surname.

I played around with Whonix, and I would like to keep trying, but while I have
time to build a new machine and move my stuff around, I do eventually have to
move out of here, and that means that I will need a working laptop for
travel. I tried out the new Debian, but I keep forgetting about the non-free
packages. For some reason, Devuan has managed to make this part easier, by
providing that choice in the installation process. With Debian, I have to
search for the discs with non-free packages, or try to figure out what my
wireless requires.

Interesting to me is that I don't recall using *any* non-free packages when
installing my desktop. And then I remembered, I have an old C.Crane WiFire
antenna, more than ten years old, a little beat-up from travel, but still
going strong. But my desktop can't plug in anywhere, so that's how I get my
wifi to work here. I only need those zd1211 packages, whatever they're
called, and I am good to go. So when I pack up my desktop and move everything
over to my laptop, it will be interesting to see if I can use just my antenna
without any non-free packages.

Bill