Re: Change to forum software? (was TDE Matrix.org room?)

On Fri, Oct 08, 2021 at 01:07:30PM -0500, Michael wrote:

> > Agreed on every point. So it's xmpp/jabber, then?
>
> Links Man!  What is this jabber thing you speak of?

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=xmpp+jabber

It is an instant message, or chat, protocol, like IRC.

> Truely, I don't care what we use as long as it's easy and removes some of the
> current issues...

Chat is easy and removes some of the current issues, while creating some
wonderful new issues of its own.

Generally speaking, chat is good for instant responses to tiny
questions. If you can ask your question in one sentence, and it can be
answered immediately in one sentence, chat is great.

But if it takes more than a few seconds to craft a response, chances are
that on a busy chat server, your question will have scrolled off the
screen and disappeared, out of sight, out of mind. Email is good for
long questions and answers with much detail.

It is technically possible to have a public archive of IRC or jabber
messages, but generally chat is considered to be ephemeral:

“The Moving Finger writes;
and, having writ, Moves on:
nor all thy Piety nor Wit,
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all thy Tears wash out a Word of it.”

--The prediction of Internet Relay Chat, by Omar Khayyám, c.1100 CE.

*wink*

If people want to experiment with chat, you could check out Libra.Chat:

https://libera.chat/

--
Steve