Re: Change to forum software? (was TDE Matrix.org room?)

On Friday 08 October 2021 11:07:30 Michael wrote:
> On Friday 08 October 2021 12:55:05 pm William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > On Friday 08 October 2021 10:50:40 Michael wrote:
> > >
> > > Problems with the mailing list:
> > >
> > > - All email addresses become publicly published on the archival site.
> > > - Censorship blocks mails from being submitted to the list.
> > > - Everyone gets off topic emails
> > > - Everyone gets the spam emails submitted
> > > - Since many on the list use [data collecting] mail providers, then all
> > > peoples’ emails on the list gets data collected.
> > >
> > > Forums do have their own problems.  And my personal dislike of this
> > > mailing list, first point, is for me mitigated by the fact I create
> > > unique emails for every entity I sign up with, but that is possible for
> > > only a very small portion of our members.
> > >
> > > Nik’s quote, “Please do not email me anything that you are not
> > > comfortable also sharing with the NSA, CIA” is extremely relevant to
> > > the last point.
> > >
> > > 2 cents,
> > > Michael
> >
> > Agreed on every point. So it's xmpp/jabber, then?
>
> Links Man!  What is this jabber thing you speak of?
>
> Truely, I don't care what we use as long as it's easy and removes some of
> the current issues...
>
> Best,
> Michael

Sorry, I figured that everybody else here would be much more up-to-date on
stuff like this; more than myself, anyway.

There are about a million xmpp/jabber servers out there, and some of them
(like these links) allow anonymous registration, free, no details given or
data collected, runs over Tor, etc., etc. Also I seem to recall that they
have IRC capabilities, and group chat, etc.

https://jabber.hot-chilli.net/
https://www.hot-chilli.net/
These links should lead you to other links for other servers, and they have
all kinds of uber-technical stuff, for which I've only scratched the surface.

Somehow we could adapt this, or at least something like this, right? Better
than having to reinvent the wheel, it's already there and has been for ages,
it's about as secure and private as one can get for free, decentralized, so
you don't need to host it yourself ... although having our own jabber server
might not be a bad idea.

The problem is, of course, that everything would be "live", not like post an
email to the list and wait for a response. If somebody is online, they might
answer right in real time. But then, too, it could turn into a food fight or
flame war, or beset by trolls, and nothing good ever happens.

It doesn't have to be xmpp/jabber. That might not be quite the right tool for
the job; but I am pretty sure there must be something similar in concept that
would serve our needs.

Regarding comments of Gene and others: I don't necessarily agree with your
politics (at least, not on the surface), and also I want to keep politics and
religion and divisiveness out of the group. This place is a nice escape from
madness, so let's keep it set apart from whatever we do in the so-called real
world. I mean only so that we can keep the spirit going.

And to that end -- whatever our respective beliefs or politics -- we ought to
remember that privacy *is* freedom, in that we cannot have real freedom
without it. This is one of those "mostly innocent" or "mostly virgin"
or "mostly uncorrupted" problems; either you are, or you aren't. To that end,
let's find something like xmpp/jabber.

Bill