Re: TDE Matrix.org room?

On Thursday 07 October 2021 11:48:35 am Michael wrote:
> On Thursday 07 October 2021 11:05:50 am E. Liddell wrote:
> > On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 09:19:05 +0200
> >
> > "Dr. Nikolaus Klepp" <dr.klepp@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > > Anno domini 2021 Wed, 06 Oct 14:37:41 -0500
> > >
> > >  Hunter via tde-users scripsit:
> > >
> > > I might sound ignorant, but what's a "Matrix room"?
> >
> > I assume it's an on-line venue accessible through the matrix messaging
> > network (see matrix.org ).
>
> Hey Hunter,
>
> I wandered around matrix.org, and it’s pretty confusing as to what it
> actually does.  Would you mind providing some links that give a good high
> level summary of what this Matrix thing is?  What it provides (is it some
> variant of forum software?)?  What a person would need to do to be able to
> use it?
>
> And how you envision it being able to replace the TDE mailing lists? (<=
> I’m assuming that’s what you’re meaning.)
>
> Case in point, this https://matrix.org/docs/guides/introduction might be
> good for a hardcore geek, but to the average Joe Linux user it’s mostly
> gobbledygook.
>
> Thanks,
> Michael

Sorry for the late reply, I was having trouble with sending/receiving mail on
Kmail but I fixed the issue.

Matrix pretty much does the same thing as Jabber/XMPP, but its main client
Element (available on the web and also as a wrapped desktop client on many
Linux distributions) makes it like a free and open-source alternative to
Discord. If you use Element and treat it as Matrix itself, it's pretty simple
to the average Joe. Visit https://element.io/  for that.

(I hope this doesn't trigger that spam filter in your countries).

As Dep said in another email, Matrix and their homeserver matrix.org is pretty
untrustworthy. Matrix was funded by Amdocs, a subsidiary of the Mossad from
what I heard. Thankfully there are many other homeservers disconnected from
the main Matrix group, my personal favorite and what I use to host the TDE
room and my account is halogen.city. Use https://halogen.chat/ for their web
client (Element).

--
~ Hunter