Re: TDE Matrix.org room?

said Hunter Ellett via tde-users:
| On Thursday 07 October 2021 11:48:35 am Michael wrote:
| > On Thursday 07 October 2021 11:05:50 am E. Liddell wrote:

| > > I assume it's an on-line venue accessible through the matrix
| > > messaging network (see matrix.org ).
| >
| > Hey Hunter,
| >
| > I wandered around matrix.org, and it’s pretty confusing as to what it
| > actually does.  Would you mind providing some links that give a good
| > high level summary of what this Matrix thing is?  What it provides (is
| > it some variant of forum software?)?  What a person would need to do
| > to be able to use it?
| >
| > And how you envision it being able to replace the TDE mailing lists?
| > (<= I’m assuming that’s what you’re meaning.)
| >
| > Case in point, this https://matrix.org/docs/guides/introduction might
| > be good for a hardcore geek, but to the average Joe Linux user it’s
| > mostly gobbledygook.
| >
| > Thanks,
| > Michael
|
| Sorry for the late reply, I was having trouble with sending/receiving
| mail on Kmail but I fixed the issue.
|
| Matrix pretty much does the same thing as Jabber/XMPP, but its main
| client Element (available on the web and also as a wrapped desktop
| client on many Linux distributions) makes it like a free and open-source
| alternative to Discord. If you use Element and treat it as Matrix
| itself, it's pretty simple to the average Joe. Visit https://element.io/
|  for that.
|
| (I hope this doesn't trigger that spam filter in your countries).
|
| As Dep said in another email, Matrix and their homeserver matrix.org is
| pretty untrustworthy. Matrix was funded by Amdocs, a subsidiary of the
| Mossad from what I heard. Thankfully there are many other homeservers
| disconnected from the main Matrix group, my personal favorite and what I
| use to host the TDE room and my account is halogen.city. Use
| https://halogen.chat/ for their web client (Element).

I'm still a little puzzled. How does this differ from the Riot Matrix
application that some of us might already have?

It was a little worrisome to see this on the Element page: "Element is
incredibly proud to build in the open, sharing almost all of our own code
with everyone." Almost?
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album