Re: Recommendations for TDE-compatible non-systemd distro?

On Mon, 4 Oct 2021 11:48:18 -0400
Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> E. Liddell composed on 2021-10-04 10:38 (UTC-0400):
>
> > On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:59:25 -0400 Felix Miata wrote:
>
> > What do you have against forks?
>
> Ordinarily, nothing, but an init system is foundational, outweighed in importance
> only by the kernel.
>
> > elogind and eudev are both well-supported (there was a slight
> > hiccup a month ago when the original eudev developer left the project, but
> > it's under new management and AFAIK doing fine, with commits being made
> > to the source repository).  These are alternate providers, not "kludges".
>
> "Providers" that depend on developers whose job is playing catchup and maintaining
> workarounds for mainstream whatevers. IMO this is formula for commitment to
> project less likely to endure than otherwise, so more turnover, as evidenced by
> what you just wrote.

The original eudev developer left the project because his reasons for setting it up
had to do with stock udev not working well on musl-based systems.  That
apparently isn't a problem anymore, so the project no longer scratches his itch.

eudev has now passed into the hands of a group of contributors from Gentoo,
Devuan, and Alpine, who are interested in it for other reasons.  I would say that
it's now healthier than it's ever been (or at least the bus factor has gone up
significantly).

In my opinion, alternate providers of init, device hotplug, and other foundational
services are necessary to the health of the Linux ecosystem.  I find systemd's
push to become an init monoculture to be problematic.

E. Liddell