Re: Recommendations for TDE-compatible non-systemd distro?

On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:59:25 -0400
Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Steven D'Aprano composed on 2021-10-04 14:18 (UTC+1100):
>
> > After about a year of being not very happy with Fedora 29, I am planning
> > to bite the bullet and rebuild my desktop. This time I want to install
> > something that works with TDE, and preferably not running systemd.
>
> > Requirements:
>
> > - my PC is a low-end machine with Intel i3 CPU
>
> > - my Linux admin experience is low to medium (been using Linux for about
> > 20 years, but mostly "if it works, don't fiddle with it")
>
> > - I want to run TDE.
>
> > What would you recommend?
> IMO: Rethink your aversion to systemd. Eventually you'll run into software you
> simply cannot use because it depends on some part of the growing systemd monolith.
> All the major distros have switched to systemd. Those that don't are increasingly
> relying on kludges and a growing amount of forking upstream to keep going.

What do you have against forks?  In case you didn't notice, TDE *is* a
fork.  elogind and eudev are both well-supported (there was a slight
hiccup a month ago when the original eudev developer left the project, but
it's under new management and AFAIK doing fine, with commits being made
to the source repository).  These are alternate providers, not "kludges".

OpenRC and sysvinit are not forks.  OpenRC is well-maintained, and sysvinit
is as close as I have ever seen to a bug-free nontrivial program (I checked up
on it a couple of years ago.  Five or six bugs filed, all for very obscure things).
runit, which I know is used by at least one distro, isn't a fork either.

As for major distros, Gentoo hasn't switched (systemd is available, but is not
the default), and likely never will.  Of course, it's possible that our criteria for
what constitutes "major" disagree:  to my mind, it's some combination of
"influential" and "number of users".

Checking the entire Gentoo package list, I find the following categories of
applications that have hard dependencies on systemd that can't be satisfied
by anything else:

-Tools for systemd that do things like analyzing log output.

-Two Gnome-related packages (gnome-logs and office-runner)

-Two packages I had never heard of before:  switcheroo-control and
profile-sync-daemon.

That's it.  In all other cases, systemd support is optional, or an alternate
provider is accepted.  There may be a patch or two involved in some cases,
but that's nothing new.

If systemd fits your use-case, then by all means use it, but don't spread FUD.
Just because something is common, that doesn't make it the best choice for
everyone.  Otherwise, what are we doing here?

E. Liddell