Re: Recommendations for TDE-compatible non-systemd distro?

Hi all,

On Mon, Oct  4, 2021 at 10:38 (-0400), E. Liddell wrote:

> On Sun, 3 Oct 2021 23:59:25 -0400
> Felix Miata <mrmazda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> Steven D'Aprano composed on 2021-10-04 14:18 (UTC+1100):

>>> - my Linux admin experience is low to medium (been using Linux for about
>>> 20 years, but mostly "if it works, don't fiddle with it")

>>> - I want to run TDE.

>>> What would you recommend?

I'm a bit late to this party, but if can wait a bit more, hopefully
Slackware 15 will be out Real Soon Now.  (Yeah, it has been a long
time since the last release, but there is a lot of current activity,
and RC1 happened in mid-August, so I have some hope.)

>> IMO: Rethink your aversion to systemd.  Eventually you'll run into
>> software you simply cannot use because it depends on some part of
>> the growing systemd monolith.

Felix, please don't take this harshly, but I think this is
self-fulfilling defeatism.

>> All the major distros have switched to systemd.

I would argue that Slackware still holds a place in the list of "major
distros", depending on whether or not you count "significance" as one
of the criteria for your list.  And, thankfully, Slackware remains
systemd-free.

<snip>

> If systemd fits your use-case, then by all means use it, but don't
> spread FUD.  Just because something is common, that doesn't make it
> the best choice for everyone.

Hear, hear.

>From my point of view systemd apparently solves problems I've never
had, which in itself is all well and good.  But The fact that (it
seems) more and more software somehow replies on some systemd function
concerns me, in that if it gets its fingers into more and more things,
at some point it may become some monolithic monster which may turn
Linux into the same ball of confusion that MS-windows is, and thus
open Linux to security problems which are hard to discover and hard to
fix.  I really believe that the "do one thing and do it well"
philosophy has a lot to be said for it.

> Otherwise, what are we doing here?

Good point.

                                Jim