Re: hibrid system plasma+tde

On Monday 09 August 2021 23:30:32 deloptes wrote:
> William Morder via tde-users wrote:
> > Or, it could be, he is a TDE purist: Thou shalt have no other desktops
> > besides Trinity!
>
> Indeed, why would you run other desktops? I personally run only TDE and
> have Gnome and KDE applications running as well.

I use xfce or mate when I am installing Devuan; but after I get TDE packages
installed, then I try to purge everything that is non-TDE. Only sometimes do
I inadvertently install gnustep or gnome, because I want temporarily want
some package that somehow requires it. Then I purge it again.

> Regarding default applications there is this here
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/mime-apps-spec/1.0.1/index.html
>
> and if TDE is not complying to this, we should be working in this
> direction, which I can not say, because I do not use another desktop.

I agree. While I don't want to use other desktops, I do sometimes want to use
some of their packages. It is just plain silly that -- in order to use only a
couple items -- I must install a whole other desktop.

> However when I right click an attachment in KMail, I have the option to
> choose "Open with..." and then associate the MIME-type with specific TDE
> application.
>
> Perhaps it is just a matter of time for everybody to comply to the
> Freedesktop specs, but remember that TDE existed before those specs were
> written and the others may implement slightly different versions of these
> specs.

It would help to improve TDE's public image, too. I don't know how it is now,
but I remember that a few years ago there was a lot of bad talk on
various "distro watch" sites, about how we were stuck in the past, a
dinosaur, etc.

Now, it seems to me, it was good, and it just keeps getting better, and I
regard them (i.e., the users of the newer KDE5 Plasma and Gnome and the
others out there) with pity. It is beyond me why anybody would want to use
them.

Bill