Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

Anno domini 2021 Fri, 6 Aug 17:17:28 +0200
 phiebie@xxxxxxx scripsit:
> Hi dep,
> >
> > So, then, its spare sectors come from unpartitioned, unformatted
> > space?
>
> Not all of them. The drive itself has, when it leaves the factory, a
> bunch of spare sectors *beyond* the advertised 500GB. And these can
> only be accessed by the drive-firmware, nothing else. So when you leave
> mentioned 25GB unpartitioned, you have the equivalent of 25Gb plus a
> bunch extra cells! as spare.
> >
> > My plan is to put everything except /home there.
>
> It's up to you to leave the gain in speed for that unharvested.
> >
> > 20.04-LTS I no longer have a grub menu. Might this be because I no
> > longer have a dual-boot system? (I nuked the XP partition because I
> > hadn't booted to it in years.)
>
> Run update-grub.
> >
> > which is whether a drive's
> > physical location in the SATA system mattered in assigning drive
> > designations. If I read you accurately, by using UUIDs this wouldn't
> > matter
>
> Nik mentioned a case, where this wouldn't work as expected. But
>  Linux prefers to use UUID (Universally Unique Identifier), LABEL, or
>  symlinks to identify media storage devices on a system. Using device
>  assignments (like /dev/hd*# or /dev/sd*#) is not preferred since these
>  can change between system boots.
> Source ubuntu documentation.

They don't change and never have. Systemd GNOMEs have put that myth out to justify the crude new naming scheme for e.g. ethX - which, too, never change but behave deterministic. I would not blame changing names on the OS when the user moves hardware e.g. from sata0 to sata2 and keeps sata1 in place.

Nik