Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

Hi dep,

> So, then, its spare sectors come from unpartitioned, unformatted
> space?

Not all of them. The drive itself has, when it leaves the factory, a
bunch of spare sectors *beyond* the advertised 500GB. And these can
only be accessed by the drive-firmware, nothing else. So when you leave
mentioned 25GB unpartitioned, you have the equivalent of 25Gb plus a
bunch extra cells! as spare.

> My plan is to put everything except /home there.

It's up to you to leave the gain in speed for that unharvested.

> 20.04-LTS I no longer have a grub menu. Might this be because I no
> longer have a dual-boot system? (I nuked the XP partition because I
> hadn't booted to it in years.)

Run update-grub.

> which is whether a drive's
> physical location in the SATA system mattered in assigning drive
> designations. If I read you accurately, by using UUIDs this wouldn't
> matter

Nik mentioned a case, where this wouldn't work as expected. But
 Linux prefers to use UUID (Universally Unique Identifier), LABEL, or
 symlinks to identify media storage devices on a system. Using device
 assignments (like /dev/hd*# or /dev/sd*#) is not preferred since these
 can change between system boots.
Source ubuntu documentation.

Regards.