Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

said phiebie@xxxxxxx:

| Run update-grub.

I have, repeatedly. Last line of the result is: "Adding boot menu entry for
UEFI Firmware Settings". Problem is, the GRUB menu never displays. Doesn't
show up at boot time. I am not sure how to make it do so -- until now,
there was no reason to mourn its passing. I knew what to do with LILO, but
I try not to screw around much with GRUB, because "much" can become "too
much" pretty easily.

| Nik mentioned a case, where this wouldn't work as expected. But
|  Linux prefers to use UUID (Universally Unique Identifier), LABEL, or
|  symlinks to identify media storage devices on a system. Using device
|  assignments (like /dev/hd*# or /dev/sd*#) is not preferred since these
|  can change between system boots.

Right, and I understand that. But there still are puzzles, such as the
partition ID, which I suspect is useful but have now idea how.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/