Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

dep wrote:

> I'm giving some thought to putting an SSD in my desktop machine. The
> relatively small ones, ~500gb, have gotten pretty cheap, and they seem to
> be fairly reliable (though I can't say I utterly trust them, though
> traditional HDs aren't perfect in this regard, either). It seems that if
> properly employed, one could speed up my system considerably.
>
> But I thought I'd ask here before pushing the buy button.
>
> So . . . has anyone here used an SSD in a desktop machine? If so, what did
> you put on it?

I have different implementations of SSDs at home.
On the server 2x1TB in RAID1
On the desktop until recently 1x500GB SSD and since couple of months I added
another one and created RAID1
On the backup server I have one 120GB for the OS (I backup the borg config
on the server and USB), but considering to add a decent expansion card to
make a RAID1 there as well.

> I have 20tb of storage on the machine, most of it big photo files, and I
> expect to keep all of it. Absent a compelling reason to the contrary, I'd
> keep ~/ on a conventional hard drive as well. My initial idea is putting
> the / partition and swap partitions on the thing, with everything home and
> below staying put.
>
> An additional consideration is my idea of keeping a fully current install
> where it is now, though not using it unless the SSD blows up. Is this
> reasonably easy to do, or would it be a giant pita?
>
> Anyone here have any experience doing this kind of thing?

The SSD speeded up things a lot - like compiling etc may be 5x and more.
But I also do not trust them that much, because if they die, they die badly.

I do not have any complains, failures or alike. I use the WD NAS (Red)
spinning or SSD.

I have my home on the server and use NFS and because there is SSD on the
server and 1Gbps, it works really well and much faster than before with the
spinning WD RED 1TB

So with one disk you could put the / and swap on that, as you mention.

Usually the first time you boot from SSD there is the Wow-effect, because it
boots instantly :D

I hope it helped