Re: Anybody here using an SSD?

On Thursday 05 August 2021 14:00:40 Borg Labs wrote:

> On Thursday 05 August 2021 01:02:54 pm Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Anno domini 2021 Thu, 05 Aug 16:36:10 +0000
> >
> >  dep scripsit:
> > > Hi, everybody!
> > >
> > > I'm giving some thought to putting an SSD in my desktop machine.
> > > The relatively small ones, ~500gb, have gotten pretty cheap, and
> > > they seem to be fairly reliable (though I can't say I utterly
> > > trust them, though traditional HDs aren't perfect in this regard,
> > > either). It seems that if properly employed, one could speed up my
> > > system considerably.
> > >
> > > But I thought I'd ask here before pushing the buy button.
> > >
> > > So . . . has anyone here used an SSD in a desktop machine? If so,
> > > what did you put on it?
> > >
> > > I have 20tb of storage on the machine, most of it big photo files,
> > > and I expect to keep all of it. Absent a compelling reason to the
> > > contrary, I'd keep ~/ on a conventional hard drive as well. My
> > > initial idea is putting the / partition and swap partitions on the
> > > thing, with everything home and below staying put.
> > >
> > > An additional consideration is my idea of keeping a fully current
> > > install where it is now, though not using it unless the SSD blows
> > > up. Is this reasonably easy to do, or would it be a giant pita?
> > >
> > > Anyone here have any experience doing this kind of thing?
> >
> > I have a Samsung 870 QVO 1TB - simply works. I tried two SanDisk SSD
> > Plus, both had bad sectors. As a data graveyard I'd not use SSDs. My
> > old HDDs (2000, 2005 and 2010) still are in perfect shape. Now they
> > serve as my data graveyard on FreeBSD+ZFS. Backups go to BD :)
> >
> > Nik
> >
> > > --
> > > dep
> > >
> > > Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album
> > > Column: https://ofb.biz/author/dep/
> > > ____________________________________________________
>
> Agreed for long term backups, use a mechanical drive.
> SSDs are too you to know how long term disuse will affect them.

I think much of the worry about SSD, u-sd's, etc where were using smar
sand instead of spinning rust, has to do with the tendency to buy the
smallest that will do the job. That leads to a lot of stress on the
smart sand as it try's to keep your data safe. To use my one raspi-4
with 2 gb of memory as an example, the boot u-sd is a 64Gigger, and the
used area is under 8 Gigs. I have, because I and running a buildbot-like
environment on it, moved as much of the high traffic write activity to a
pair of SSD's mounted over usb3 adaptors, specifically the buildbot runs
on a 240G SSD mounted at /media/pi/workspace. Swap is on a 10G partition
of a 120G SSD, and I should probably move /var off the u-sd but haven't
yet. That u-sd gets about 30 megs of re-write activity a day on average
as the last step in my scripts is dpkg installing all of linuxcnc and
its docs in English. And its been doing that for about 2.5 years now,
starting when the pi was a 1G pi-3 and took most of a day because it was
all usb-2 then, lots slower. The only failure was an off brand usb3 to
sata adapter, replaced with a startech and zero problems since.

The pi4 has a 5 amp supply, heat sinks stuck on it, and an old 12 vlt
video card fan running on that 5 volt supply for cooling. And it has a
small ups, so it litterally runs from install to install, with reboots
by me when libraries need to be reloaded, sometimes months as I have a
standby that starts long before the ups times out in 2 minutes, probably
the main reason I got the ups for $39.95, that 2 minutes is not
adjustable regardless of how light the load is.

So I think the best advice is put in a much bigger SSD, so the total
capacity used leaves it enough room to keep itself healthy, and forget
about it once that has been done. df says its 25% used, so it can
degrade and do housekeeping to keep the data safe for several years yet.
64G u-sd's these days are going to be exfat, not well supported by linux
yet, so I use gparted to re-format them to ext4, but that may, indeed
does, get overwritten by dd when doing the original raspbian buster
install.

Installing the preempt-rt kernel is more fun as raspbian doesn't support
it, so I had to configure, build and invent my own installer. so I did,
and pinned it against any attempts by apt to update it.

And amanda backs up every byte of it every night. Belt and Suspenders. :)

> Kate
> Web mail archive available at
> https://mail.trinitydesktop.org/mailman3/hyperkitty/list/users@trinity
>desktop.org