Re: Printing PDF's [possibly OT]

On Sat, 17 Jul 2021 01:06:51 +1000
"Steven D'Aprano via tde-users" <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Jul 14, 2021 at 10:59:49PM -0700, Gianluca Interlandi wrote:
>
> > >Sounds to me like the PDF is broken.
> > >
> > >PDFs should not depend on the fonts being installed in your system.
> >
> > I thought this is true only if the fonts are embedded in the PDF. It has
> > happened to me in the past that a PDF would not render and print correctly
> > until I had installed the MS TrueType fonts.
>
> Right. PDFs *should* have the fonts embedded in the PDF by default.
>
> Some fonts will never embedded, because they are flagged as "No
> Embedding". And I suppose that people should be able to disable font
> embedding if they choose. But I stand by my claim that by default PDF
> creator software ought to embed fonts.

There's a whole bunch of messy intellectual property problems with
that.  Most people don't bother to investigate who their fonts belong
to or what redistribution rights they have, and Windows and Mac OSX
(both the OSs themselves and common software for them) ship with a
lot of "all rights reserved" fonts, some of which may be legacy fonts
without formal "no embedding" markers.  So no, embedding fonts by
default unfortunately would make a lot of people criminals, technically
speaking.

E. Liddell