Re: Printing PDF's [possibly OT]

On Wed, 14 Jul 2021, Steven D'Aprano via tde-users wrote:

On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 01:33:10PM -0400, Edward wrote:

Since installing Debian, I've had some issues printing PDF's, in that
the resulting printout doesn't look exactly like the PDF. This could be
due to the fonts installed with Debian, where they are possibly not the
same or ideal fonts for PDF's.

Sounds to me like the PDF is broken.

PDFs should not depend on the fonts being installed in your system.

I thought this is true only if the fonts are embedded in the PDF. It has happened to me in the past that a PDF would not render and print correctly until I had installed the MS TrueType fonts.

Gianluca

https://www.printivity.com/insights/2020/09/13/how-to-embed-fonts-in-pdfs/

It says something about the tech world that software written by the
creators of the PDF standard, Adobe, produces broken PDFs by default.

In addition to KPDF (which installed with TDE), I tried:

 * KGhostView
 * evince
 * qpdfview
 * Okular
 * GIMP
 * LibreOffice Draw
 * Firefox

If it were a problem with a buggy PDF renderer, I would expect at least
one of those to handle it correct. The fact that *none* of them work
suggests that the fault is the PDF itself.

None of these printed the PDF as expected. So I will be uninstalling all
of the above, except for KPDF (so as not to cause any potential issues
with TDE), LibreOffice Draw and Firefox.

Why bother uninstalling them? That just means you have to reinstall them
next time you have a dodgy PDF that doesn't render nicely.

By the way, in my opinion, by far the best PDF viewer when it comes to
rendering is xpdf, particularly if you can find the original rather than
the forked version in Fedora. The user interface is extremely
bare-bones, but I have never found a PDF it cannot render correctly.
YMMV.

I also have both the Vivaldi (stable and Snapshot) and Chromium web
browsers installed. Chromium does not offer an option to open a file.

Open a new tab and type "file://" into the address bar. Hit Enter. That
will give you a file listing that you can navigate to the file you want
and open it.

P.S. http://www.angryflower.com/247.html

*wink*

--
Steve

Gianluca Interlandi, PhD gianluca@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
                    +1 (206) 685 4435
                    http://gianluca.today/

Department of Bioengineering
University of Washington, Seattle WA U.S.A.