Re: Printing PDF's [possibly OT]

On 7/14/21 5:12 PM, E. Liddell wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 17:21:44 -0400
Edward <epp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 7/13/21 4:55 PM, E. Liddell wrote:
On Tue, 13 Jul 2021 14:12:47 -0400
Edward <epp@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
What is occurring, was that the layout of the PDF viewed with any of the
aforementioned packages (except Vivaldi), wasn't 100% perfect. For
example, spacing between the letters was uneven.
That suggests a kerning problem, and possibly an unsuitable font
substitution.  You may want to dig into your distro's information on
fontconfig.  The command "fc-match Helvetica" can be used to see
what your system's substitute for Helvetica is.

It's also possible the designer was a bonehead and adjusted the spacing
between letters without embedding the font.  That's . . . a little more
difficult to fix.
~$ fc-match Helvetica
texgyreheros-regular.otf: "TeX Gyre Heros" "Regular"

This is Debian 10.10 (amd64)
For me, it's arial.ttf, but that's because I have the old Microsoft
corefonts installed.

Okay, so if you type or copy and paste a bunch of text into an editor
program and change the font to "TeX Gyre Heros", does it look okay,
or does it display the same problems as your PDF?

E. Liddell

I tried this in LibreOffice Writer. Default font was Liberation Serif,
which looked similar to Times New Roman.

Changing this text to the TeX Gyre Heros font, changed it and the result
looked like Helvetica.

Although I will admit that I discovered an unusually large quantity of
Noto fonts that are all foreign language characters, This caused the
font list to hang in LibreOffice, so I have uninstalled those packages,
it freed up over 600Mb on the hard drive.

--
Linux. A Continual Learning Experience.

TDE: R14.0.10  -  Debian: 10.10 (amd64)