Re: Using Konqueror for the web

On Tuesday 29 June 2021 06:46:04 pm Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:
> Although it may seem suspicious, Konqueror is my primary browser. Only if
> the page does not appear usable, I open it in Pale Moon. Chromium or
> Chrome I only use for (crazy) MS Teams or (significantly better) Jitsi
> meet - for example, on https://meet.vpsfree.cz.
>
> I am aware that some CSS are not displayed correctly, but fortunately it
> often does not reduce the readability of the pages. And the fact that
> HTML5 things do not work properly, as well as the "modern" JavaScript
> pages often keeps me away from "amazing" ads and other "necessary" things,
> which I don't mind at all. For me it is great that Konqueror opens /
> closes greatly faster than any "modern" browser. And for many things I
> need, Konqueror works well.
>
> I definitely disagree with the statement that Konqueror is the worst web
> browser ever created. The fact that Webkit originated as fork of KHTML
> confirms that the basis was definitely good.
>
> Sure, I would like Konqueror could be used also for modern web pages - for
> example, to use WebKit engine instead of old KHTML/TDEHTML. Here we must
> consider not only due to CSS, but mainly due to JavaScript. For example,
> to be able to use TGW in Konqueror. But definitely I'm not a supporter of
> removing web browsing capability from Konqueror. I use it every day, so
> there doesn't make sense to want to shoot into my own feet. What makes for
> me sense is to consider whether to go the way to integrate webkit engine
> or porting functionality from webkit back to tdehtml. The problem is that
> we do not have enough time and programmers who could do it.
>
> Cheers

Thanks for your reply to this situation. I would do the same in regards to
using Konqueror + another browser for "modern" features but I don't like
going between different applications doing the same thing (which is why I
wouldn't use Kmail while I used SeaMonkey). I am actually using Kmail to
compose this as I'm using Firefox for web now (with the Arkenfox user.js
which disables Mozilla's questionable features from the browser).

If the move to WebKit / porting to tdehtml happened, I'd have no reason to use
anything else but Konqueror. The adblock filter and other features in it are
incredibly handy and bypasses things that other browsers would need addons
for; This alone makes me like it a lot in regards to being a web browser.
Understandably, I see how switching or using WebKit would be quite a
difficult feat right now and I appreciate that the devs do what they can.

I said in another reply I'm in college (yes I'm quite a young'n) hoping to
learn a thing or two about coding/contributing since I never got the
opportunity before.. I'd gladly help out if I felt comfortable enough with my
own skills :-)

--
- Hunter, aka hunter0one