Re: Is there a quick hack for this?

said Dan Youngquist via tde-users:
| On 6/20/21 8:25 AM, dep via tde-users wrote:
| > In that gThumb, which I used for years, has had everything useful
| > about it removed, I sought alternatives. I often need to edit IPTC
| > data embedded in photographs; while gThumb used to do this well it now
| > does it poorly.
|
| Can't help you with the Gwenview plugin, but would it be possible to
| simply run an old version of gThumb that does what you want?
| Alternatively, an apt-cache search turns up several programs that say
| they edit IPTC data; would one of those work more easily?

As a pure IPTC editor, Photini is in my estimation unsurpassed. My usual
workflow is to use a viewer to select the picture I'm likely to use, toss
it to the GIMP for tuning, open the new version in the viewer for caption
editing and making sure the credit stuff is as it should be, then send it
off to the publisher. So the viewer in many respects is the hub of the
whole process. The IPTC packages available are all either something I have
or something I've tried and found wanting. At the moment, the Trinity
version of Gwenview is as close to ideal as I can find, and it would be
closer still if I didn't have to dance through a bunch of menus to edit
the IPTC stuff, which is needed by most publishing software. (The KDE
version of Gwenview that I tried installed okay but its plugins weren't
recognized by it, Trinity, or something -- anyway, they didn't work,)

I tried an older version of gThumb and it blew up initially; installed a
lot of dependencies and it still blew up; took a while to back out of. One
of the problems with much development at Gnome and KDE is that when
something gets perfected, they keep hacking away at it until it's not good
for anything anymore. I sometimes think their singular goal is one good
screenshot.
--
dep

Pictures: http://www.ipernity.com/doc/depscribe/album