[OT] Why the USA has “Public Education” was: rant about education :)

On Monday 24 May 2021 01:32:49 am deloptes wrote:
> J Leslie Turriff wrote:
> > IMO the underlying problem (at least in the US) is the low pay provided
> > in the education industry, which drives out those with good teaching
> > skills. In the school I attended after moving to the US, math was taught
> > by the athletics coach!  I also wonder about the abilities of the people
> > who set the curricula standards.
>
> Well US ... the movie Idiocracy fits the best. In Austria the teachers are
> very well payed, but since the 80ies are indoctrinated to the left -
> especially the humanitarian subjects.
> The only rational thinking people in this country are technicians and
> nature science.
> The pay is not the only issue, although a major one. I agree with you here
> , but want to add that the whole society is responsible for this shift

In the USA the lack of current education is directly attributable to 3 (4?)
major industrialists of approximately 1900*.  I read the document they wrote
for this about ~20 years ago, so the rest of this is from memory, but should
be accurate at a high level**.

Their goal, which was basically achieved 10 to 30 years ago, was to create a
class of uneducated people to work in their factories (as the current “grade
school” graduate population was too educated to accept low pay and unsafe
working conditions and the uneducated immigration population was rapidly
declining).

The US public school system was created to accomplish this.  AFAIKR pushing
religion (“don’t use logic, accept brainwashing as fact”) into the US
government was also part of the agenda (adding ‘God’ to money and court
oaths, etc.).  “Don’t use logic, accept brainwashing as fact” is one of the
foundations of US (public) education and can be seen in the continued
teaching of Freudian theory in university level Psychology.  Marketing (which
uses the same principal for buyer manipulation) is probably the easiest place
to learn more about how it’s achieved.

There was much more variability in the US school systems (all private) prior
to this;  as age and grade were not in lock step like today.  People
(considered full adults btw!) graduated from what we now call “high school”
at 9th grade [age ~13-16].  College started afterwards.  For those not going
to college, ‘grade’ or ‘primary’ school ended at ~6th grade (what the US now
calls elementary school).  I believe (okay, I don’t remember if this is true)
the British system in use today still retains most of what the US system was
like (College starting at 16, etc.), as it was what the US system was
originally based on.

It was an extremely fascinating, and completely depressing, read.  If you
want/have children (or grand-kids) in the US it’d be beneficial if you dug it
up and read it...

Best,
Michael

*  I’d give names but I’d most likely give the wrong ones.  Two were pretty
recognizable, one was obscure by today’s standards.
** At the time is was available on the Internet.  If you can’t find it through
Goog, try a very large city reference librarian.  Also fascinating, dig up a
9th grade graduation test from the late 1800s.

Notes:
 - I have not read the rest of this thread, sorry if I repeated someone’s
discussion.
 - I exited the US public school system in the 5th grade.  It’s a lot easier
to see the forest from the outside.