Re: [users] [OT] rant about education :)

On 2021-05-23 19:05:50 deloptes wrote:
> Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Once upon a time in the 80s and eary 90s the situation was quite
> > simillar. But then came "Schüssel I" and with it the decline of the
> > education system which is still ongoing. In the days long gone the A
> > level was not centralized, but you were allowed at any university - and
> > the knowledge you gained at school was sufficient to enable you to follow
> > the lectures at university. Then the conservatives started "optimizing"
> > or "reforming" the education system. A level certificate is now
> > centralised (a great "improvement") and prepared by some private company.
> > Additionally there is a regular school certificate. Stuff taught for A
> > level is plain useless at a univerity, so all universities introduced
> > entry exams and "trial" semesters.
>
> Come on Nik - do not blame it on the conservatives - the left betrayed the
> working class - the conservative liberals finished all - they both play
> hand in hand - it is the same gang, so that you can blame someone left or
> right. And you need dumb people, so that no one can understand the game.
>
> > But to give you a rel live examples from 5. class (age ~ 15, still 3
> > years to go for A level): - Pupils are told how prime factorization
> > works. They are not told what to do with it - never. - Comes "Linear
> > equations", 6 months later 2D vectors. They are not told that these 2
> > things are the same. - Geometry, "2 lines may be parallel or have one
> > intesecting point or none". Then they learn a methode to find "the" line
> > that does not intersect with a given line. They are not told that there
> > are infinite non-intersecting lines, nor are they told the correct way to
> > build a inequality to describe all non-intersecting lines. -
> > Trigonometry: taught sine theorem and cosine theorem, but not a single
> > word that they need 3 independent specifications to define an triangle
> > and why and when to use sin/cosine theorem to get the other 3 specs. -
> > They are never told how to solve a problem by using or combining prior
> > knowledge - this is the absolute nogo for universities. And its quite
> > astouning how the
> > schoolbooks mange to not-teach this vital skill.
> >
> > To sum it up: Austrian school system is totally broken nowadays. Funny
> > thing is, in the 80s austrian school system was superior to german, now
> > its the other way round - but not because Germany did real improvements,
> > on the contrary, they are just slower with "improving".
>
> In the 80s the neo liberals on the right and left were just graduating
> university. They just have brain washed the first generation of teachers.
> Now they are preparing the third generation of teachers.
> Germany! it is even worse - it is the same everywhere - down grade, down
> grade, down grade. At such level that many of my friends teach their
> children at home (not only in Austria)
> Believe me - the next generation of teachers will finish us all.

	IMO the underlying problem (at least in the US) is the low pay provided in the education
industry, which drives out those with good teaching skills.  In the school I attended
after moving to the US, math was taught by the athletics coach!  I also wonder about the
abilities of the people who set the curricula standards.

Leslie
--
openSUSE    Leap 15.2 x86_64
Qt:         3.5.0