Re: Install not possible from Ubuntu Live CD's

Dne Sunday 28 of February 2021 17:57:10 Martin Bost via tde-users
napsal(a):
> I followed the link to Ubuntu Live CD's with Trinity Desktop
> (http://mirror.ppa.trinitydesktop.org/trinity/cdimages/ubuntu/) where I
> found two versions of a Live CD:
> tde-14.0.8-ubuntu-20.04-desktop-amd64.iso 2020-Apr-27 23:16:49 1.6G
> application/x-iso9660-image and
> tde-14.0.9-ubuntu-20.04.1-desktop-amd64.iso 2020-Nov-06 04:36:35 1.6G
> application/x-iso9660-image
>
> I made USB install sticks for both of them and found the same error:
> both can be started without problems on different notebooks (Sony VAIO,
> Lenovo T520, Samsung NC10) and run smooth and error free from the stick.
>
> Whenever I try to do an installation - started the Live CD in the mode
> with possible install - on each of the nb's I always end up without a
> starting install process directly out of the start of the image but end
> up in a Trinity Desktop where I find links to install Ubuntu with
> Trinity.
>
> But when I use of the menu entries nothing happens and no message is
> shown. By fetching the install entry's command line out of the menu
> editor and calling it from a command line nothing is shown too.
>
> And when I
> => sudo -i
> and then
> => --preserve-env=DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS,XDG_RUNTIME_DIR sh -c
> 'ubiquity gtk_ui' I only get the message
> "Could not find command-not-found database. Run 'sudo apt update' to
> populate it. --preserve-env=DBUS_SESSION_BUS_ADDRESS,XDG_RUNTIME_DIR:
> command not found" By running only the part "ubiquity gtk_ui" again I do
> not receive any message and an install is not started.
>
> The hole process of starting the image from the stick looks very similar
> as a normal install process for Ubuntu where the installation is
> directly started after choosing this option from the images start menu.
> When I do this with the Trinity images the install process is NOT
> started.
>
> Both versions do exactly the same. It would be very nice to get help on
> this because I figured out that the combination of Ubuntu 20.04 and
> Trinity 14.x even when started from a stick after boot run more but fast
> enough to be used as a very good alternative to Kubuntu even on old
> hardware like a Samsung Netbook NC10 from 2011 with 2 GB RAM and ARM450
> CPU. So it would be nice to have the option to install from the Live
> CD's.
>
> Many thanks in advance !!!

I understand correctly that the installation program (Ubiquity) as such
will not run at all?

I tried LiveCD in a KVM virtual machine - both in CD-Rom mode and in mode
where I used the iso file as a hard drive. In both cases, the installation
program started correctly. Because I didn't put another hard disk in the
virtual machine, I couldn't continue after a few steps.

I assume that ARM450 CPU does not mean ARM architecture, but should it be
Intel Atom? Please, is there a 64bit CPU in that laptop? Because otherwise
you should use Debian instead of Ubuntu, where 32bit is still supported.

Cheers
--
Slávek