Re: kweather does not update weather data [SOLVED]

Am Mittwoch, 6. Januar 2021 schrieb E. Liddell via tde-users:
> On Wed, 06 Jan 2021 20:52:13 +0100
>
> deloptes <deloptes@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Stefan Krusche via tde-users wrote:
> > I have no idea what corresponds to Berlin-Schoenefeld. Is
> > Berlin-Schoenefeld the new airport there? I heard lately in the
> > news they managed to finish and open it, but not exactly sure which
> > is the new one.
> >
> > and may be we have to check the date of the data and display a
> > warning if it is not recent enough.
>
> A quick check of Wikipedia shows that Berlin Schönefeld is now part
> of Berlin Brandenburg Airport (the "new airport"), which has
> inherited Schönefeld's ICAO code but has a different IATA code.

That's right. It is the same, enhanced and modernized airport.

> The first element of the lines in the stations.dat file is the
> airport or weather station ICAO code, second and third seem to be the
> WMO ID code, fourth is city, fifth is US state (if the location is in
> the US), sixth is country, seventh I'm not sure of (possibly a
> numeric code for "continent" or similar), 8-11 are location (latitude
> and longitude), 12-13 are probably elevation (min-max? above sea
> level, in meters), and I'm not sure about the trailing slot that
> sometimes has a P in it (it may have something to do with whether or
> not the station is permanently manned, but not all countries seem to
> use it).  The file is stored verbatim in git, so it isn't being
> created programmatically and might easily be out-of-date.

Great. Thank you for the input.

I think only the first field is the relevant identifier because the
source of data is hosted on noaa.gov in html files which identify with
just that ICAO code (e.g.: "EDDB.html"). I checked that a couple of
years ago.

Also, in stations.dat there are many entries which only have "--;---;"
in field two and three. And that doesn't seem to be the reason that
many entries are not shown in the GUI dialog of kweather because most
of those have these WMO IDs. (For the reader's convenience, it's: World
Meteorological Organization).

> The important identifiers are probably the first three slots.  Since
> Schönefeld and Brandenburg both have ICAO code EDDB, it's possible
> that it's the WMO code that needs to be changed from 10385 to
> whatever Brandenburg's been issued, if it's different.

I think the entry for Berlin-Schönefeld is good as it is. It works after
I applied deloptes' idea to edit

.trinity/share/config/weather_panelappletrc

which contains the variable which instructs kweather to show the data
reported of that particular weather station.

Cheers,
Stefan