Re: Amrecover hangs after restore

On Sunday 20 December 2020 13:59:49 William Morder via tde-users wrote:

> [...]
> > > tde-users

> > > sudo NOT su...  Read the first link, they go together...  AFIK,
> > > you'll need to reformat the whole command for sudo (as it is not
> > > the same format as su).
> > >
> > > Don't run as root either!  Run it as plain amanda, even if you
> > > have to stick it in a test script and add it to amanda cron to
> > > kick it off.
> >
> > No, since they've built a paranoid security wall between me and
> > anybody else, I'll run it as me.
> >
> > > Do use visudo to edit sudoers, it will use whatever editor* you
> > > have exported, e.g.:
> > >
> > > export EDITOR=nano
> > >
> > > * I know I’m a heathen heretic, I hate vi…
> >
> > 22 years ago I thought vi was the cats meow, then I found gedit, but
> > gedit screwed me one too many times with its habit of 52 pickup file
> > scrambling, so now I use nano or geany, neither has ever eaten my
> > lunch, gedit has been banned, rm'd when I find pieces of it still
> > sneaking around. vi I haven't used recently enough to even remember
> > how to get in and out of the edit mode, or to save and quit. And
> > typing help doesn't include those very vital commands. Or even how
> > to close the help screen.
> >
> > We used to have a saying in the amiga world, never ever allow the
> > coder to write the docs, he is so familiar with how it works he
> > thinks everyone is as familiar with it as he is, so the docs start
> > with the rust spots on the gears, not with what the gears actually
> > do. So we had another saying about when the code was finished,
> > because somebody shot the coder.
> >
> > The best language we ever had on the amiga was Arexx, but Bill
> > Hawes, who wrote it, never got a dime from amiga, yet there was
> > nothing the amiga could do that you couldn't do from an Arexx
> > script.
> >
> > The amigados, any version, never had a cron, but we needed to keep
> > it busy in the middle of the night doing video production work, so
> > Jim Hines and I wrote ezcron, in Arexx because it had a sleep
> > command and didn't have to busywait. Not only that, we could
> > calculate how long it had to sleep to wake up in the exact first
> > tick of the next minute regardless of what time it was.  We even
> > used that to pop up a station ID in the first second of the hour. We
> > even had a web page served up with an amiga, months before the major
> > networks discovered it.  Wasn't much, but you could dial it up and
> > read the same teleprompter scripts our news anchors had read on the
> > air 10 minutes before.
> >
> > Being a medium market tv broadcaster was fun in those days 25 to 35
> > years ago.
> >
> > > Best,
> > > Michael
>
> Amiga, a blast from the past! That was my very first computer thingie,
> back in, um, 1984? But for me it was just a glorified typewriter, as I
> never saw the need to get geeky until I got on the Internet and had a
> few bad experiences, enough to wise up a little.

We bought a block of 16 ipv4's back in about '86 when we started to use
amiga's as graphics engines. Then we found the 192.168 xx.zz and dd-wrt
while we never expanded what the world see's, are are now programming 8
tv channels out of a new tech room built since I retired in the middle
of 2002.  Using video servers Jim built from scratch. Running linux of
course. They record 4 full hd channels, and play 4 channels each,
simultaneously, 3 of them, with the third serving as a hot standby that
can take over without missing a word should one of the two lose a drive
in their raid arrays. That's self healing, just pull out the old drive
and plug in a new one, ten minutes for the raid to put itself back
together and its back in business. Then the owner died and his daughter
sold it. The new people issued orders to get rid of linux and getting it
all running on winders, which also never happened because the linux
boxes just sat there and ran establishing their reason for existence in
their uptimes.  No bsod's, ever. We contracted with the weather channel
for one of our channels wheb we went hidef digital in 2008. They built a
sat rx facility in our back yard. filling it with windows junk. And
wouldn't even give us a key so we could reboot it when it did a bsod. We
didn't renew that contract as it was so bad, bsod'd 40% of the time and
our sales people were being insulted over it.

But Jim could see the handwriting on the wall, so he is now the linux
goto guy for triple the money the new brooms at the station offered at
the fbi facility just north of Clarksburg.  And my guess is that they
will never have a Russian or Chinese access rumor like the rest of the
fed agencies in bed with BG & winderz are trying to sweep under the rug
at the moment.  Its their wake up call, but bet the farm, NO heads will
roll. They simply will not entertain that there actually IS a better
way.

Most of the political hacks that run those agency's are MBA's, meaning
they absolutely have to have somebody else to sue if it screws up, so
they always buy IBM and Windows. IBM is decent hardware /most/ of the
time, but winderz, Spit.

I own exactly one winderz box, an allinone that gets used as a smith
chart display when I am re-tuning an AM broadcasting tower, a black art
few of the yet living broadcast engineers understand, but I found a
Vector Network Analyzer that actually does all the math to make a
useable smith chart, in video or on paper for the FCC, live in near real
time, made in Slovakia that I could afford and invested in it. Guys, all
my age and older, using the original General Radio RF bridge gear spend
a day collecting data, and another 2 days drawing that chart. make one
adjustment, wash rinse and repeat.  Sometimes for a month, I can now do
it better, in one day.  Whats not to like?

I have dd-wrt between me and the net, and I serve my web page from this
machine.  No one I didn't give credentials to, has come thru and had any
access to my home system other than the bots mirroring my web pages
content but I found a syntax error in my robots.txt file and much of
that upload bandwidth wasting stuff has now been blocked.

The 4 main offenders in my iptables DROP list are all M$ owned, and the
next 6 are googlebot's, both of which seem to ignore your robots.txt.
And unlike fail2ban, which has yet to take any action after being
restarted 2 weeks ago, I don't expire blocked addresses unless they send
me a personal msg requesting it. That's happened once, I had so many
hits from a place in northern kalipornia that I blocked them with a /16
where I block most with a /24, and he was a customer of theirs I already
knew from a cnc mailing list.

Seen on a tee shirt for way too much money:

Don't piss off old folks, we're to old to fight, too slow to run, so
we'll just kill you and be done with it.
;-)

Take care all.  And Stay Well.

> Bill
> Web mail archive available at