Re: Amrecover hangs after restore

On Sunday 20 December 2020 10:50:44 Michael via tde-users wrote:

> On Saturday 19 December 2020 07:39:34 pm Gene Heskett via tde-users
wrote:
> > On Saturday 19 December 2020 19:15:47 Michael via tde-users wrote:

> > This second URL showed me how to edit the sudoers file and add this:
> >
> > amanda ALL=(ALL) NOPASSWD:/opt/trinity/bin/dcop
> >
> > But it still fails:
> > root@coyote:~$ su amanda -c "/opt/trinity/bin/dcop --user gene
> > --all-sessions kmail KMailIface resumeBackgroundJobs"
>
> sudo NOT su...  Read the first link, they go together...  AFIK, you'll
> need to reformat the whole command for sudo (as it is not the same
> format as su).
>
> Don't run as root either!  Run it as plain amanda, even if you have to
> stick it in a test script and add it to amanda cron to kick it off.

No, since they've built a paranoid security wall between me and anybody
else, I'll run it as me.
> Do use visudo to edit sudoers, it will use whatever editor* you have
> exported, e.g.:
>
> export EDITOR=nano
>
> * I know I’m a heathen heretic, I hate vi…

22 years ago I thought vi was the cats meow, then I found gedit, but
gedit screwed me one too many times with its habit of 52 pickup file
scrambling, so now I use nano or geany, neither has ever eaten my lunch,
gedit has been banned, rm'd when I find pieces of it still sneaking
around. vi I haven't used recently enough to even remember how to get in
and out of the edit mode, or to save and quit. And typing help doesn't
include those very vital commands. Or even how to close the help screen.

We used to have a saying in the amiga world, never ever allow the coder
to write the docs, he is so familiar with how it works he thinks
everyone is as familiar with it as he is, so the docs start with the
rust spots on the gears, not with what the gears actually do. So we had
another saying about when the code was finished, because somebody shot
the coder.

The best language we ever had on the amiga was Arexx, but Bill Hawes, who
wrote it, never got a dime from amiga, yet there was nothing the amiga
could do that you couldn't do from an Arexx script.

The amigados, any version, never had a cron, but we needed to keep it
busy in the middle of the night doing video production work, so Jim
Hines and I wrote ezcron, in Arexx because it had a sleep command and
didn't have to busywait. Not only that, we could calculate how long it
had to sleep to wake up in the exact first tick of the next minute
regardless of what time it was.  We even used that to pop up a station
ID in the first second of the hour. We even had a web page served up
with an amiga, months before the major networks discovered it.  Wasn't
much, but you could dial it up and read the same teleprompter scripts
our news anchors had read on the air 10 minutes before.

Being a medium market tv broadcaster was fun in those days 25 to 35 years
ago.

> Best,
> Michael
> Web mail archive available at