Re: Migration of services - 10. primary archive

Dne Sunday 20 of December 2020 18:12:25 Michael via tde-users napsal(a):
> On Sunday 20 December 2020 12:02:26 am Michele Calgaro via tde-users
wrote:
> > On 2020/12/20 04:00 AM, Slávek Banko via tde-users wrote:
> > > We may consider placing the primary archive in a hosting center -
> > > for example, by purchasing larger disks for tde-box or by increasing
> > > the space provided for tde-vps. However, it will probably be a good
> > > idea to consider such changes only after we are able to manage the
> > > project funds and accept donations.
> >
> > This is defintely something we will need to do in future, to move away
> > from possible one-person-dependant services. I agree with you we need
> > to figure out how to handle donations and project funds, then we can
> > relook at this.
>
> In that vein (away from possible one-person-dependant services):
>
> - How big is the archive?  (<250GB?  ~4TB?)
> - How simple is it to back it up? (a few rsync’s?  tarball?)
>
> I have no issues storing a copy, or two, of the archive on one of my
> backup servers (which are in hosting centers).

I'm glad you're interested in the details.

Current size and occupied space of the partition:
/dev/mapper/lvm1-tde_data        400G  336G   65G  84% /srv/tde

A subset of this volume is synchronized to the mirror system. First to the
primary mirror, from which the other mirrors are then synchronized. This
synchronization usually takes place several times a day, with pauses of 3
hours between the individual synchronizations.

The size always decreases significantly at the moment of release, when the
contents of the official repository and PSB are identical. The size of the
repository is now constantly growing again as the packages in PSB are
built for R14.0.10~pre. Such an increase can be almost 100 GiB. At the
same time, there is a gradual increase in volume when adding support for
new distributions.

During the outage, which I announced in early December, I replaced my home
server's hardware with slightly newer components, including the purchase
of new, larger disks. So now I have a sufficient reserve of disk capacity
again.

The specified partition is on two disks (RAID1). In addition to these
disks, I make a regular daily local backup on an external usb disk. The
backup disk requires significantly more capacity, as the daily differences
can be large - from hundreds of MiBs to tens of GiBs. Next to this, I'm
making a copy of the archive on my next machine in a remote location (two
disks in RAID1). Copying to this remote location is not regular yet.

> Best,
> Michael
>
> * If it’s in the 10-15GB range I can dump multiple copies on my DNS
> servers as well.

Cheers
--
Slávek