Re: Kmail : no mails received from Gmail

On Sat, Nov 14, 2020 at 11:03:53AM +0100, Thierry de Coulon via tde-users wrote:
> On Saturday 14 November 2020 10.53:20 ajh-valmer via tde-users wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have a Gmail.com account mail.
> > It works quite well with Webmail,
> >
> > but no, with Kmail. I don't receive any mails (POP).
> > (login and password are OK).
>
> Hi,
>
> I use gmail mainly as a spam filter, routing secondary mail accounts to gmail
> and forwading what has not been filtered to my main account.

I don't think André is talking about forwarding email from Gmail, I
guess he means he is using Gmail as an imap or pop server.

> I also forward my gmail mail to my main account (partly because gmail
> considers mail from my "private" mailserver as spam.

Then your mail server is probably badly configured. Gmail is very
forgiving of private mail servers, unlike Yahoo.

I have run an announce-only mailing list with about 800 subscribers for
five years or so, until recently it was being sent from a dynamic IP
address in the middle of an untrusted address block. So once a month I
would fire out 800 emails from a home mail server, and I have never had
problems with Gmail. (Yahoo, on the other hand, grrrr...)

At the very least, you should have an SPF record set. You probably
should relay your outgoing email via your ISP, who probably has a better
spam reputation than you do. (Especially if it is a big, well-known
ISP.) There are other things you can probably do too, which escape my
mind right now, starting with *don't send spam* from your personal mail
server, but I trust that last one goes without saying :-)

> I work with kmail and I don't have any problem. I get the mail from gmail per
> Imap however

Sorry, I'm confused -- earlier you said you forwarded from Gmail to your
mail account, now you say you fetch with imap. Have I misunderstood?

--
Steve