Re: VNC + TDE + keyboard problem

Hi deloptes!

Anno domini 2020 Sat, 14 Nov 10:08:40 +0100
 deloptes via tde-users scripsit:
> Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
>
> > I don't know if this is a TDE issue or not, but it's kind of strange:
> > vncviewer translates local keyboard (german) to a stipped down version of
> > an english keyboard, translates that to soem scancodes and sends these to
> > the vnc server. Notably it translates "z" to "y", "forgets" german umlauts
> > etc., but whhen I set the OS at the vnc server side to "english" it partly
> > remaps the scancodes to keys e.g. "z" is "z" and "y" is "y", but still
> > umlauts are missing.
> >
> > Has anybody a great idea what to do in this case? HJow do I get the
> > correct scancodes sent to the server?
>
> I think there is a ticket in TGW about this - what exactly are you trying
> the vncviewer or krdc?

I tried tigervnc and tightvnc - and it's not a TDE issue at all (shame on me). This is what I think is the reason for keyboard mixup: bhyve has a vnc server built in that models the hardware (BIOS, bootloader, ...) and is hardcoded for english. Now the installed OS (win10 .. brrr) has a different concept of hardware than the host - which goes unnoticed when your guest OS is installed in english. Luckily a VNC server running inside the guest OS does not rely on the supervisors hardware emulation. BTW, this also happens with qemu/kvm, but not with VirtualBox.

Nik