VNC + TDE + keyboard problem

I don't know if this is a TDE issue or not, but it's kind of strange: vncviewer translates local keyboard (german) to a stipped down version of an english keyboard, translates that to soem scancodes and sends these to the vnc server. Notably it translates "z" to "y", "forgets" german umlauts etc., but whhen I set the OS at the vnc server side to "english" it partly remaps the scancodes to keys e.g. "z" is "z" and "y" is "y", but still umlauts are missing.

Has anybody a great idea what to do in this case? HJow do I get the correct scancodes sent to the server?

Nik