Re: Possible bugs in Trinity Control Center - Printers and OS Installer

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 17:49:50 -0500
Edward via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I installed the PCLinuxOS Trinity Mini image to my second desktop
> today. Iniitially, the printer was working. When I tried to use the HP
> Device Manager, once the printer was added to it, it stopped working.
> The Control Center showed the printer was 'stopped'.
>
> The printer is an HP OfficeJet 3830.
>
> I was able to get the printer to work again by adding it a second time
> in the Control Center, but using a different name for it. Then, when I
> attempted to remove the original printer (in Administrator Mode), the
> original printer will disappear from the listing once 'Remove' is
> selected, then about 5 or 10 seconds later, it reappears in the list
> by itself.
>
> I have attempted three additional times in reinstalling the OS from
> scratch. But after each reinstall and reboot, once logged in, I went
> to the Printers section and the printer was still listed.
>
> On this third reinstall, the printer was physically disconnected from
> the computer during the re-installation of the OS, no power, no USB.
>
> Please understand that this has become frustrating.
>
> Some questions:
>
> 1. Once in Administrator Mode, why does the printer reappear by
> itself again, once removed?
>
> 2. Why after a fresh, new reinstall of the OS, complete with
> partitioning of the hard drive (?), does the printer still appear on
> the Printers screen when it's physically disconnected, once the
> system comes up after the initial reboot? If no printers are
> connected, it should not be showing any printers. In fact, the
> printer status showed: 'Idle (accepting jobs)'.
>
> I am going to attempt a fourth reinstall of the OS, but will be using
> Gparted to format the hard drive, prior to this re-installation.

Good news. :)

Printer is working again. The printer entries referenced above, I
subsequently discovered, were for the printer connected to the other
desktop - which has the same model of printer. It eventually
displayed the hostname of the other computer, then I realized what was
going on. Had it been a different printer model, then it would have been
obvious...

Should the CUPS server actually be seeing the other printer in the first
place?? I've never seen this occur before.

Thanks in advance for any information and/or suggestions.