Re: Possible bugs in Trinity Control Center - Printers and OS Installer

On Wed, 11 Nov 2020 17:49:50 -0500
Edward via tde-users <users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I installed the PCLinuxOS Trinity Mini image to my second desktop
> today. Iniitially, the printer was working. When I tried to use the HP
> Device Manager, once the printer was added to it, it stopped working.
> The Control Center showed the printer was 'stopped'.

So, did you try "Printer" -> "Start/Stop Printer" -> "Start Printer"?
Did it not work?

> The printer is an HP OfficeJet 3830.
>
> I was able to get the printer to work again by adding it a second time
> in the Control Center, but using a different name for it. Then, when I
> attempted to remove the original printer (in Administrator Mode), the
> original printer will disappear from the listing once 'Remove' is
> selected, then about 5 or 10 seconds later, it reappears in the list by
> itself.
>
> I have attempted three additional times in reinstalling the OS from
> scratch. But after each reinstall and reboot, once logged in, I went to
> the Printers section and the printer was still listed.

You were probably just installing overtop the same partition without clearing
out the old files, so settings would have persisted (it's the only way I can
think of that what you describe could have happened, anyway).

Anyway, TDEPrint is just a frontend, and this sounds like something might
be going on inside CUPS, which is the backend.  Point a browser at
http://localhost:631/ , then select "Administration" -> "Manage Printers",
select the problem printer, and fiddle with the dropdowns until you find
"Delete Printer".  Then "Go" to purge the printer.  If it reappears again
after that, you may have hit a CUPS bug of some sort.

(Last resort would be to edit printers.conf or your system's equivalent.)

Also, if your printer has wireless capability, your system may be able to
detect it unless it *really* has no power (that is, it isn't plugged into a
wall outlet).  I wouldn't trust a modern appliance to be off and not "on
standby" when plugged in unless the power switch is a rocker and not
a pushbutton.

E. Liddell