Re: pmount vs. udisks2

On 2020/11/07 12:51 AM, Michael via tde-users wrote:
Hi Michele,

I wanted to thank you for both this post and the last LUKS post you made!
It’s always nice to understand the ‘backend’ of the software we use.

Hi Michael,
glad to be of help :-)

Would you have any recommendations on how to add udisks2 and remove pmount,
udevil, and udisks, such that nothing ‘bad’ happens?  Or is it safer to just
add udisks2?

You can pretty much have all of them installed, there isn't any conflict AFAICT.
In R14.1.0 udisks2 has the top priority, followed by udisks, udevil and lastly pmount. tdehw library will use the first available method that it finds. I normally have just udisks2 installed, but for testing I experimented with different combinations and didn't run in any problem other than the limitations of the various tools. Note that udisks is no longer available in recent distros, having been replaced by udisks2.

If you run R14.0.x you won't be able to unlock/lock LUKS disks from the GUI, you still need to use CLI or D-bus calls to the backend that you have installed. Deoending on what is your policy on updates, you may want to consider switching to PTB, where you can unlock a disk with a double click + password.

Cheers
  Michele