Re: pmount vs. udisks2

On 2020/11/06 03:42 PM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
Hi all!

Is it just me or can sombody else replicate this behaviour:

1) pmount installed, udisks2 not installed: I get the "device inserted .."-dialog, but the device icons do not show up. Mounting and unmounting works. After removing all external devicis I still have /media/ populated with "interesting" folders, each containing one file ".creaded_by_pmount". Zhese survive a reboot, so I have to remove them by hand.

2) udisks2 is installed, pmount not instaled: I get the "device inserted .."-dialog, and all device icons as expected. Mounting and unmounting works. /media/ is working as expected, i.e. folders disappear when the device is removed.

So ... save to say "install udisks2 and forget aboult pmount" ? pmount i used in exegnulinux, that's why I ran into it.

Hi everyone,
I will reply here although I read the other messages too. I spent lot of time testing with udisks2 and pmount in my work on LUKS support.

I assume you are using R14.0.x since you still have the "device inserted" dialog (not to worry, this will still be there in R14.1.0 although currently it is not... long story behind it).

udisks2 works like a charm, at least as root. If you are a normal user, you may need permissions, but that is another matter. Each operation (unlock, mount, unmount, lock) can be executed individually and overall there are no issues.

pmount provided partial functionality, as in you cannot execute those 4 operations individually but only combined. Also pmount only supports removable devices, while udisks2 works also on internal disks (like /dev/sdX).

Overall, based on my experience I fully recommend to use udisks2. pmount, udevil, udisks provide partial or support for LUKS devices.

Cheers
  Michele