Re: pmount vs. udisks2

On Friday 06 November 2020 10:06:30 am Michele Calgaro via tde-users wrote:
> On 2020/11/06 03:42 PM, Dr. Nikolaus Klepp wrote:
> > Hi all!
> >
> > Is it just me or can sombody else replicate this behaviour:
> >
> > 1) pmount installed, udisks2 not installed: I get the "device inserted
> > .."-dialog, but the device icons do not show up. Mounting and unmounting
> > works. After removing all external devicis I still have /media/ populated
> > with "interesting" folders, each containing one file
> > ".creaded_by_pmount". Zhese survive a reboot, so I have to remove them by
> > hand.
> >
> > 2) udisks2 is installed, pmount not instaled: I get the "device inserted
> > .."-dialog, and all device icons as expected. Mounting and unmounting
> > works. /media/ is working as expected, i.e. folders disappear when the
> > device is removed.
> >
> > So ... save to say "install udisks2 and forget aboult pmount" ? pmount i
> > used in exegnulinux, that's why I ran into it.
>
> Hi everyone,
> I will reply here although I read the other messages too. I spent lot of
> time testing with udisks2 and pmount in my work on LUKS support.
>
> I assume you are using R14.0.x since you still have the "device inserted"
> dialog (not to worry, this will still be there in R14.1.0 although
> currently it is not... long story behind it).
>
> udisks2 works like a charm, at least as root. If you are a normal user, you
> may need permissions, but that is another matter. Each operation (unlock,
> mount, unmount, lock) can be executed individually and overall there are no
> issues.
>
> pmount provided partial functionality, as in you cannot execute those 4
> operations individually but only combined. Also pmount only supports
> removable devices, while udisks2 works also on internal disks (like
> /dev/sdX).
>
> Overall, based on my experience I fully recommend to use udisks2. pmount,
> udevil, udisks provide partial or support for LUKS devices.

Hi Michele,

I wanted to thank you for both this post and the last LUKS post you made!
It’s always nice to understand the ‘backend’ of the software we use.

Oddly I though my machine was running udisks2, but it seems to only have
pmount and udevil installed.[1]

Would you have any recommendations on how to add udisks2 and remove pmount,
udevil, and udisks, such that nothing ‘bad’ happens?  Or is it safer to just
add udisks2?

Background:  I used encrypted removable drives in the past for backups.[2]
When the last one died (year+ ago) I switched backups to ‘tar | gpg’, so I’m
not real sure I’ve used encrypted removable drives on this specific system.
[3]

I’d like to go back to using encrypted removable drives for backups
(definitely easier), so I’m really glad these posts came up identifying I may
not have ‘good’ software installed currently for that.

Again, thanks for you help and knowledge.

Best,
Michael

[1]
# which udisks2
# which udisks
# which pmount
/usr/bin/pmount
# which udevil
/usr/bin/udevil

[2]
Known usage was Ubuntu 14.04

[3]
michael@local [~]# cat /etc/os-release
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster)"