Re: network-manager-tde - dependency issues - update

On Wednesday 02 September 2020 10:09:59 am William Morder via trinity-users
wrote:

> it helps me in my ultimate
> goal of TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION.

In the quest to help you meet your goals, if you have time, maybe try this?

These are my general steps in moving to a new ‘dist’ (or in this case going
from jessie or stretch to buster):

(hopefully you already have these somewhere, or you can create it off the old
drive.)
- Tarball existing /home/user dir, copy it to something external {old-home}.
- Tarball existing /root dir, copy it to something external {old-root}.

- With a User name you’ve never used before {tempuser}, do a clean, wipe the
disk install.
- Install TDE

- Login to {tempuser}
- Install all the other packages you need/use. [1]
- - Use whatever are the new instructions for the new ‘dist’ (e.g. buster)
- Unpack the {old-root} tarball on /root/oldroot.
- - Fix root as desired (.bashrc, /root/bin, etc.)
- Unpack the {old-home} tarball on /home/{origuser}

- Through a GUI tool, create a new User {origuser} [2]
!^! You want the system to do all it’s vodoo of creating a new user, which
includes adding all the X and other configs.

- Login to {origuser}

You should have a complete working system, with minimal ‘extra’ setup(s)
needed after this. [2]  Creating a new user generally does not stomp on
application configs, so Konqueror (etc.) should all work exactly the same.

Hope that helps!
Michael

[1] Definitely debatable, but I’ve generally had better luck when everything I
use was already installed.  My guess is the ‘create new User’ part does some
extra ‘stuff’ for those packages?  But that’s a complete WAG on my part.

[2]
- This might take a good bit of time as it’s most likely having to chown
everything to the new user:group.
- You’ll possibly need to do a manual, mass chown for files outside
of /home/{origuser} as well.

[3]
- System wide things (file associations?) will need fixing though.