Re: network-manager-tde - dependency issues - update

On Wednesday 02 September 2020 07:24:46 Michael wrote:
> On Wednesday 02 September 2020 12:55:25 am William Morder via trinity-users
>
> wrote:
> > When I first upgraded, I preserved
> > my old repo lists, and only changed the lines from jessie to beowulf or
> > buster.
>
> Hi Bill,
>
> I admit I’ve only skimmed a few of these, so if this is a duplicate
> question, apologies...
>
> You ‘upgraded’ from jessie to buster?  As in something like ‘apt-get
> dist-upgrade’?

No, but I did try to upgrade from jessie to ascii/stretch. That didn't work so
well, so then I tried just a fresh installation of ascii/stretch, which still
yielded the same results -- namely that my network was unusable. But I
believe the longer version of the story is probably true, as well; which is,
when I first built my jessie system, I was migrating from Kubuntu with the
KDE3 desktop; and in the process a lot of KDE4/5 stuff got caught up, because
KDE doesn't want to let me go. So I had some unwanted baggage to get rid of,
or to adapt to TDE. It took me a while to figure out that KDE was no longer
my friend.

> AFAIK there was no upgrade path for that, it was a wipe the disk and clean
> install of buster.  Including, if the dist didn’t have a preserve /home
> option, the normal user account juggles.
>
> That would explain the odd issues though???
>
> Best,
> Michael
>
> * Obviously dist’s vary, maybe yours has an upgrade path?

When I installed Beowulf/Buster, I did a fresh installation, on a brand-new
SSD drive, then I overwrote my configuration files one-at-a-time until I got
everything like I wanted. I have a hard drive docking station, so I could
hook up my old hard drive, with my old partition, and take my time in
selecting what to overwrite. (My usual method is quick and dirty: just copy
over my old home folder into the new partition, but that's how I ended up
with the KDE4/5 krap.)

So now I have a Devuan Beowulf system with TDE Buster, and no weird stuff, no
force-installing third-party packages from dodgy repos like deb-multimedia,
etc. (I usually keep those lines commented out, unless I am looking for
something specific.)

I believe the only missed step was that I was not careful about a couple of
sid repos (because I just did a find-and-replace to change the repos). When I
tried to upgrade or whatever, I must have brought in packages that were
unstable. If you are running a version that is early in its development
cycle, then (so I hear) the sid packages tend to be buggier; if it is later
in the cycle, when Beowulf/Buster is moved into old-stable and then
eventually archived (which is where Jessie has recently gone), that's when
the sid packages tend to run better, because they are the basis for the new
release. At least that is what I have read, when doing research, and it seems
to hold true in my experience, on my own system.

Sorry to make this seem more complicated than it really is. The main idea is,
I have been running more or less the same system, same desktop, same look,
same organization of files, folders, etc., since 2005, when I first started
running Linux. And -- because that's how I keep my life and work and various
creative projects organized -- I want to keep my system pretty much the same,
where possible.

Life is short, and getting shorter for me. I don't have time to keep
reinventing the wheel or to discover fire all over again.

Thanks to everybody for their help and suggestions. Even if I disagree
sometimes, or seem like an unreasonable crank, it helps me in my ultimate
goal of TOTAL WORLD DOMINATION.

Bill