Re: network-manager-tde - dependency issues - update

<trinity-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 01 September 2020 11:58:38 greg wrote:

Nope, I have been playing nice, so far. When I first upgraded, I preserved my
old repo lists, and only changed the lines from jessie to beowulf or buster.
(I never did get networking to work at all in ascii/stretch. The change to
beowulf/buster has been a breeze by comparison, yet still there are a few
issues.) But I think I brought in some sid packages by accident, which were
good when running an old jessie system; but buster isn't so far progressed in
its development cycle, I believe. When I got that sorted out, things went
smoothly, and I was up and running a TDE devuan beowulf system within less
than two hours. (It used to take at least five hours, sometimes a day or
two.) This is a big improvement.

Speaking of which, I managed to get these packages installed, but then had no
network. I checked /etc/network/interfaces settings, but the only thing
different there is that wlan0 got changed to auto wlx*** [a long string of
numbers follow]. Otherwise, I've been running more or less the same system
since about 2015, network settings never changed. But as I said earlier --
about 3/4 of the time I cannot use tdenetworkmanager, and end up falling back
on some version of wicd.

Same thing with using network-manager and network-manager-tde packages: that
has never been an issue before now. Once I get something that works, I tend
to stick with it, but now suddenly there is some pseudo-systemd dependency?

And that's where I am now, back to wicd after messing round with
network-manager and network-manager-tde. I managed to get my network managers
installed, but they can't seem to manage the job. Anyway, wicd is behaving
something like normal again, except that now it won't use my system colors.

As long as I can keep a stable network connection, I will move on to the
firewall, and see how to get gufw to use my old firestarter rules, which is
supposed to be based on iptables.

Otherwise, my system runs pretty well; not quite as near-perfectly as my old
jessie system, but it's getting better. I'm just mystified why I should have
these problems, when nothing has changed. And as Slavek and others point out,
they don't have any issues in running tdenetworkmanager and network-manager
in a Devuan system.

Bill