Re: my KMail problems, continued

On Saturday 07 December 2019 18:42:25 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 07 December 2019 21:05:09 William Morder via trinity-users
>
> wrote:

> > > I'm forced to agree.  But if I have to do that, its likely I'll just
> > > jump ship to claws or even (spit) t-bird.  This has been bugging me
> > > off and on for at least 5 years, and I've been mostly ignored, sent
> > > hundreds of crash reports all to no avail as far as solving the
> > > problem is concerned. Paypal has no clue who Tim is, so I've not
> > > been able to contribute, which bothers the hell outta me as a firm
> > > believer in TANSTAAFL.  Not having paid my dues, I don't feel like I
> > > can demand.
> > >
> > > Wrong list, but can claws handle a 20+ gig corpus of email
> > > stretching back 20 years?

> > > Thanks, E. Lidell
> >
> > Myself, I would archive the "really" old stuff (everything older than
> > some arbitrary date). Put it somewhere safe, like on a separate drive,
> > or at least in a separate folder, so that Kmail doesn't get into it.
> >
> > Best guess is that it is just the size of your archive that is causing
> > the problems. How often do you actually search back into your archives
> > for an email older than, say, 6 months or a year past?
>
> Just this past week I went looking for something in the emc list, and
> found the msg in the folder for 2012. Thats admittedly a bit old, but it
> answered the question. Normal searches are usually hit in the same year
> as current.
>
> > If you need to search the archives, deal with that problem as the need
> > arises, rather than fighting this same losing battle, over and over,
> > for little or no useful purpose.
> >
> > By the way, I have used Claws and Sylpheed just a little. (I believe
> > Sylpheed was forked from Claws, or the other way around.) I was
> > interested in getting a cross-platform email client, so that I could
> > use a portable app on a flash drive, if I am ever out and about. They
> >
> > work okay, but they lack the functionality of Kmail.
>
> Thats been my impression also. And I think the problems with  kmail are
> directly related to its 32 bit parentage.

Due to a combination of weird circumstances, I am running 32-bit, so you could
be right. But I intend to upgrade in the next few months, so that I can get
into the latest Debian/Devuan releases, Buster, etc.

> If someone were to go thru it
> and size every pointer or counter for a 64 bit system, I'd bet a case of
> your favorite suds this would all go away.

That would be Guinness Stout, either real draught (a keg, not in the cans), or
the regular bottles. I am also aching to find Guinness (Russian) Imperial
Stout. I hear it is really something.

Damn, now I will have to go out to get some Guinness, and I blame it all on
you, Gene.

> But it might take 2 or 3
> man/months to check and adjust it all.  And THAT isn't going to be done
> just because those coders love it, they like eating and sleeping in warm
> houses etc too. Its past time we users spoke with our wallets again.
> Paypal has since improved their service, so I've got another hundred
> bucks to go with the hundred I tried to give the last time Tim asked for
> money.  All I need is a paypal address that works.

> Cheers, Gene Heskett

Yup, I promised to send a donation for the Trinity project, and it is a point
of honor, but now I am wondering where to send the money. I would prefer just
to send a check (or cheque), or at least use my credit card, rather than
PayPal.

Bill