Re: Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] my KMail problems, continued

On Saturday 07 December 2019 16:16:30 Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 07 December 2019 18:11:26 E. Liddell wrote:
> > On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 12:02:31 -0500
> >
> > Gene Heskett <gheskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Humm, but I want to modify the creation times, to make that equal
> > > arrival time from the date/time of arrival from $servername in the
> > > header. Even the pinfo version can only diddle access (atime) and
> > > modify time (mtime) but no mention of ctime is made.  That sounds
> > > like I am screwed. Do we have anything which can diddle the ctime's?
> >
> > From the look of it, it's intentionally difficult to modify on
> > command. Calling chown on the file will set the ctime to the current
> > time (even if the file's ownership isn't actually changed), so you can
> > diddle the system time then do that.  Most of the other methods seem
> > to involve debugfs, virtual machines, and other exotica.
> >
> > You know, if you don't need access to all of your old email
> > constantly, you could just turn your mail directory into a symlink,
> > split the last year or two of mail off into a separate directory from
> > the older stuff and point the symlink there, and redirect the symlink
> > if you need the older mail.  Or split the older mail off into a
> > separate user account.  Because it really seems like you're going to a
> > lot of trouble for very little return here.
>
> I'm forced to agree.  But if I have to do that, its likely I'll just jump
> ship to claws or even (spit) t-bird.  This has been bugging me off and
> on for at least 5 years, and I've been mostly ignored, sent hundreds of
> crash reports all to no avail as far as solving the problem is
> concerned. Paypal has no clue who Tim is, so I've not been able to
> contribute, which bothers the hell outta me as a firm believer in
> TANSTAAFL.  Not having paid my dues, I don't feel like I can demand.
>
> Wrong list, but can claws handle a 20+ gig corpus of email stretching
> back 20 years?
>
> > E. Liddell
>
> Thanks, E. Lidell

Myself, I would archive the "really" old stuff (everything older than some
arbitrary date). Put it somewhere safe, like on a separate drive, or at least
in a separate folder, so that Kmail doesn't get into it.

Best guess is that it is just the size of your archive that is causing the
problems. How often do you actually search back into your archives for an
email older than, say, 6 months or a year past?

If you need to search the archives, deal with that problem as the need arises,
rather than fighting this same losing battle, over and over, for little or no
useful purpose.

By the way, I have used Claws and Sylpheed just a little. (I believe Sylpheed
was forked from Claws, or the other way around.) I was interested in getting
a cross-platform email client, so that I could use a portable app on a flash
drive, if I am ever out and about. They work okay, but they lack the
functionality of Kmail.

Bill