Re: Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] my KMail problems, continued

On Sat, 7 Dec 2019 12:02:31 -0500
Gene Heskett <gheskett@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Saturday 07 December 2019 10:05:31 Michael wrote:
>
> > “touch” will let you change Access and Modify datetimes.
>
> Humm, but I want to modify the creation times, to make that equal arrival
> time from the date/time of arrival from $servername in the header. Even
> the pinfo version can only diddle access (atime) and modify time (mtime)
> but no mention of ctime is made.  That sounds like I am screwed. Do we
> have anything which can diddle the ctime's?

>From the look of it, it's intentionally difficult to modify on command.
Calling chown on the file will set the ctime to the current time (even if the
file's ownership isn't actually changed), so you can diddle the system
time then do that.  Most of the other methods seem to involve debugfs,
virtual machines, and other exotica.

You know, if you don't need access to all of your old email constantly,
you could just turn your mail directory into a symlink, split the last
year or two of mail off into a separate directory from the older stuff and
point the symlink there, and redirect the symlink if you need the older
mail.  Or split the older mail off into a separate user account.  Because
it really seems like you're going to a lot of trouble for very little return
here.

E. Liddell