Re: my KMail problems, continued

On Saturday 07 December 2019 05:00:56 am Gene Heskett wrote:
> What I'd like to do is ask linux to lie during one more copy operation,
> by having a script scan the header of the message for the oldest date,
> which likely is the date the message was rx'd here, and assign the
> filesystems creation date from that header date.  This would have the
> effect of restoreing the time differences it is sorting by such that
> there should not be 50 messages all sharing the same second in 2017
> creation date from the last copy operation which is the situation now.

Hi Gene,

Yup, can be done!

“grep” will let you find a date.
"stat" will let you see a file's Access, Modify, Change, and Birth datetimes.
“touch” will let you change Access and Modify datetimes.

The first Ref: gives a find loop to use.  The second Ref: gives a (possibly
risky) method to modify the Change time.  Google for grep, tons of examples
of that (and tons of ways to do the same thing with it)

Best,
Michael

Ref:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/62492/how-can-i-change-the-date-modified-created-of-a-file