Re: [OT] [trinity-users] Re: Linux for smartphone + email hosting

On Saturday 30 November 2019 08:25:12 am William Morder via trinity-users
wrote:
> If you host your own email, then you can control everything yourself. Of
> course, you must have the skills to be able to set up your own server, as
> well as having to pay for bandwidth, etc. However, it only costs about $500
> US for the server, and then about another $100 US per year for
> subscription. (Note that I saved the links some months ago, and haven't
> read these pages since then, so my memory may be faulty.)
>
> It seems to me, however, that a group of people could set up their own
> email service, and divide the costs and responsibilities.

Whoa, whoa, whoa!

If I read that right you’re saying an Email server is $500+ per year?  That is
so not true!

Conventionally you need:

- Domain name ($9/year) [1]
- A cheap shared host ($20/year) [2]
- A free web hosting control panel ($0/year) [3] *
- Security & Firewall software ($0/year) [4]

Total ~$30/year

* You’ll need this with a VPS or better, with a shared host you probably
won’t.

If you don’t want to manage a server, the unconventional route is to use Email
Hosting at your domain registrar.

- Domain name ($9/year) [1]
- Email Hosting ($24/year) [5]

Total ~$35/year

# # #

Generally the difference is with conventional you get unlimited email
addresses of your domain name and it can be setup to SSH tunnel between you
and your server.  Email Hosting at your domain registrar tends to limit the
number of email addresses you can use and doesn’t always have a secure
connection (Porkbun seems to, but I’ve never used it).

A secure connection is desired, but in no way guarantees your mail isn’t sent
plain text between other hops.

# # #

I’m a Porkbun customer, so if you decide to use them, shoot me a private email
and I’ll dig through their affiliate junk and send you a code.

If anyone decides to go the conventional route, I do this for a living, shoot
me an email if you have any questions or need setup help.

Best All,

Michael
http://inet-design.com/

[1]