Re: Re: Linux for smartphone + email hosting

On Saturday 30 November 2019 05:48:43 deloptes wrote:
> Robert Peters wrote:
> > Thanks for all the replies - there are several things to try out.  I
> > want to get away from relying so much on Google, and that will
> > probably include getting a non-Gmail address, and maybe using local
> > mail storage such as Kmail...
> > Robert
>
> Same here - my private mail address is on a server controlled by a friend,
> hosted in Europe. No need of local storage, because the mail server is the
> important part. Anyway - mail is a grey area, because you do not know who
> else reads the mails on the way, before they reach you. IMO it is
> irrelevant - best to use is PGP/GPG, but only few really use it.
>
> But yes, we do not have to agree or let someone tracking us and making
> money out of this.
>
> regards

For them who have some money to invest:

helm server
https://theintercept.com/2019/04/30/helm-email-server/
https://web.archive.org/web/20190501081515/https://theintercept.com/2019/04/30/helm-email-server/
https://archive.is/AeiEy

https://www.thehelm.com/
https://web.archive.org/web/20191121052928/https://www.thehelm.com/

If you host your own email, then you can control everything yourself. Of
course, you must have the skills to be able to set up your own server, as
well as having to pay for bandwidth, etc. However, it only costs about $500
US for the server, and then about another $100 US per year for subscription.
(Note that I saved the links some months ago, and haven't read these pages
since then, so my memory may be faulty.)

It seems to me, however, that a group of people could set up their own email
service, and divide the costs and responsibilities.

Bill

email
doctor_contendo@xxxxxxxx
jabber/xmpp