Re: [BULK] [trinity-users] Yearly open source donations

On Thursday 21 November 2019 10:56:25 Michael wrote:

> {Moving to new thread, might have snipped too much}
>
> On Thursday 21 November 2019 08:51:24 am William Morder via
> trinity-users
>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > been thinking of sending something anyway, but retirement puts a
> > > crimp in one's wallet. besides I sent something a yr ago and got
> > > no acknowledgement which makes me worry about our founder.
> >
> > There are worse things to invest in, than having a computer desktop
> > that actually works.
>
> Years ago I decided I was going to donate $200 per year to some open
> source project.  Occasionally I’d split it up, but most often it went
> o Drupal, as that is (was [1]) the open source project my business
> relies on.  Last year I sent it to TDE.  This year I’m splitting it
> between TDE, MX Linux, and Backdrop CMS.
>
> But, like Felmon, I received zero acknowledgment it was received.  (To
> be fair, I’ve never received any acknowledgment from any donation I’ve
> made to people at xda-developers either, so maybe it’s just a sole
> proprietor thing?)
>
> I’m pretty sure donations to TDE don’t make a dent in Tim’s account
> receivables, but . . .
>
> Questions:
>
> - Has anyone ever received a donation acknowledgment from Tim?
> - Is there a donation acknowledgment page somewhere?
> - Do we, the donators, think we should get one?
It would be nice.

However the last time I saw a plea from Tim for donations, years ago now,
I could not convince paypal that Tim was a registered recipient of
funds, so I asked Tim on this list for a place to send a check, 2 or 3
times. Never got a reply. I am a firm believer in TANSTAAFL, have a bank
balance that makes a $100 check annually un-noticable. Never getting a
reply means its never been sent, but its there and I feel bad for not
having supported what I think is a very worthwhile free software
endeavor. I'm not a huge user of paypal, ebays click and done has worked
simpler although my bank occasionally emails me a confirmation request,
so theres been no real reason to use paypal. If I knew where to send it,
its trivial to have my bank issue the check. But Tim never answered me,
privately or on this list.  So there it is.

> - Tim how are you doing?  (Talk to us man!)
>
> OT Questions:
>
> - Does anyone else make a set amount of donations per year?
> - Pro’s?  Con’s?
> - What other methods do people use for rewarding open source?
>
> Best All,
> Michael
>
> [1]
> In case anyone cares (this was the last ‘prediction’ for the next year
> thread), here’s a overview explanation I did 2 years ago:
> https://www.drupal.org/forum/general/news-and-announcements/2018-02-11
>/predictions-for-2018

> list messages on the web archive:
> http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/ Please remember not to