Re: Yearly open source donations

On Thursday 21 November 2019 07:56:25 Michael wrote:
> {Moving to new thread, might have snipped too much}
>
> On Thursday 21 November 2019 08:51:24 am William Morder via trinity-users
>
> wrote:
> > >
> > > been thinking of sending something anyway, but retirement puts a crimp
> > > in one's wallet. besides I sent something a yr ago and got no
> > > acknowledgement which makes me worry about our founder.
> >
> > There are worse things to invest in, than having a computer desktop that
> > actually works.
>
> Years ago I decided I was going to donate $200 per year to some open source
> project.  Occasionally I’d split it up, but most often it went o Drupal, as
> that is (was [1]) the open source project my business relies on.  Last year
> I sent it to TDE.  This year I’m splitting it between TDE, MX Linux, and
> Backdrop CMS.
>
> But, like Felmon, I received zero acknowledgment it was received.  (To be
> fair, I’ve never received any acknowledgment from any donation I’ve made to
> people at xda-developers either, so maybe it’s just a sole proprietor
> thing?)
>
> I’m pretty sure donations to TDE don’t make a dent in Tim’s account
> receivables, but . . .
>
> Questions:
>
> - Has anyone ever received a donation acknowledgment from Tim?
> - Is there a donation acknowledgment page somewhere?
> - Do we, the donators, think we should get one?
> - Tim how are you doing?  (Talk to us man!)

About seven or eight years ago, I actually got a personal response by email
from Tim, so I can testify to the actual existence of somebody who either is,
or who pretends to be, the man himself.

As far as the mystery of his whereabouts, this seldom concerns me, since I am
not a developer myself, and don't have to wait for Tim to do this or that to
make something work. All I care is that TDE keeps going, and that eventually
it is more widely available, or rather easier for ordinary users to install
(.e.g, via standard repositories like Debian, Devuan, the 'Buntus, Slackware,
or whatever). I have managed to adapt to the situation, but it took a long
time to make the change from KDE3 to TDE, then from PC Linux to Kubuntu to
Debian to Devuan, where at last I have found stability in the universe.

> OT Questions:
>
> - Does anyone else make a set amount of donations per year?
> - Pro’s?  Con’s?
> - What other methods do people use for rewarding open source?

I base my meager donations on my sense of personal responsibility; or, if you
will, guilt. It is not based on what others think of me, and I would prefer
that others don't know whether I do or do not contribute to charity
or "causes", whether good or bad. To advertise one's unselfishness rather
defeats the point.

In this special case, I wanted to make a point, that one cannot retract what
was never actually given to begin with. And then, once I am committed to
giving the money, I cannot back down.

In another case, a few years ago, I donated money to a favorite local radio
station, to keep them on the air. Now, I had been listening to them almost
continuously for about 25 years, so when I had the money and they were in
dire straits, it only seemed, again, like good karma, to pay for what I had
been using already when suddenly I knew that I could afford to give a little.

My feeling, in relation to using TDE, is pretty much the same. I've been using
it for FREE, and now when I have a little extra, I ought to give back some.
It is always better to err on the side of generosity.

I don't have a formal policy; I give according to a strong impulse or feeling
that tells me what I ought to do.

Bill