[OT] On topic vs. Off topic posts (and Subject mangling)

{Moving to new thread}

On Thursday 21 November 2019 07:57:05 am William Morder via trinity-users
wrote:
> On Thursday 21 November 2019 02:24:09 ajh-valmer wrote:
> > > On Wednesday 20 November 2019 16:23:06 Slávek Banko wrote:
> > > [...]
> >
> > On Thursday 21 November 2019 00:29:48 Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > +1 Slavek, thank you, even if my keyboard can't spell your name.
> >
> > A technical and friendly list is not incompatible.
> > The friendly side is a good "motor" to help much better.
> >
> > The desktop is very important to manage the system.
> > The fact that people are fan of TDE, make them happy on Linux,
> > contributes to increase GNU/Linux and the free-opensource software.
> >
> > I don't understand some displaced reactions.
>
> I suggest that we develop some kind of consensus on how to handle this kind
> of situation. I do not wish to feel uncomfortable, nor do I want others to
> feel so. After we have participated in this list over several years, some
> of us have got to know one another better than others, but somehow we are
> expected to interact like AI bots without emotions.
>
> All the same, let's not keep going round like this. Let's just agree to
> take it private once it starts to go off-topic.

Personally I find the Off topic posts more interesting that the On topic
posts, so forcing people to go private just for list’s appropriate etiquette
sake seems a bit too far?  Obviously anything actually private should go
private, or we possibly end up with annoying sales pitches.

In that regard here’s a proposal?

- If you’re going off topic, add to the subject “[OT]” (positioned about where
whoever adds [BULK] *).
(If someone went OT, be nice and add it for them in any OT replies.)

- Continue using the original thread just for on topic posts.

Okay, we’ve got Bill’s and my proposals (and de.bug’s I guess), everyone toss
out what you’d like to see.  That way we can come up with a definitive “way
we do it here” statement.  So people don’t get butthurt and leave in a
huff ;) .  (Or maybe she/he thought I called him stupid for being young?
Lacking quality education yes, stupid, no...  If they have the desire, anyone
can open a book and make up for any educational lack.)

I’ll shut up now.

Best,
Michael

* Speaking of the [BULK] thing, whoever keeps adding that would you please
edit your subject before sending the email to remove it?  Better yet, edit
your rule/filter so it’s never added.  Highly annoying that.