Re: [BULK] Re: [trinity-users] [OT] On topic vs. Off topic posts (and Subject mangling)

On Thursday 21 November 2019 11:49:14 William Morder via trinity-users
wrote:

> On Thursday 21 November 2019 08:25:30 Michael wrote:
> > {Moving to new thread}
> >
> > On Thursday 21 November 2019 07:57:05 am William Morder via
> > trinity-users
> >
> > wrote:

> > > I suggest that we develop some kind of consensus on how to handle
> > > this kind of situation. I do not wish to feel uncomfortable, nor
> > > do I want others to feel so. After we have participated in this
> > > list over several years, some of us have got to know one another
> > > better than others, but somehow we are expected to interact like
> > > AI bots without emotions.
> > >
> > > All the same, let's not keep going round like this. Let's just
> > > agree to take it private once it starts to go off-topic.
> >
> > Personally I find the Off topic posts more interesting that the On
> > topic posts, so forcing people to go private just for list’s
> > appropriate etiquette sake seems a bit too far?  Obviously anything
> > actually private should go private, or we possibly end up with
> > annoying sales pitches.
> >
> > In that regard here’s a proposal?
> >
> > - If you’re going off topic, add to the subject “[OT]” (positioned
> > about where whoever adds [BULK] *).
> > (If someone went OT, be nice and add it for them in any OT replies.)
> >
> > - Continue using the original thread just for on topic posts.
>
> I would be cool with something like that, too. Whatever works; I am
> not particular about the "how" (at least, not yet), but I don't want
> to keep having this same flame war over and over, again and again.
>
> > Okay, we’ve got Bill’s and my proposals (and de.bug’s I guess),
> > everyone toss out what you’d like to see.  That way we can come up
> > with a definitive “way we do it here” statement.  So people don’t
> > get butthurt and leave in a huff ;) .  (Or maybe she/he thought I
> > called him stupid for being young? Lacking quality education yes,
> > stupid, no...  If they have the desire, anyone can open a book and
> > make up for any educational lack.)

I am an excellent example of that, officially with an 8th grade
education, I have made my living for all these years now putting the
electronic genie to work doing useful things, but should you choose, I
can also discuss Einsteins theory including my personally observed
evidence that he is correct that you won't find in text books.

> Down, Michael! Bad dog! Let's not be ungenerous to others.
>
> ;-)
>
> > I’ll shut up now.
> >
> > Best,
> > Michael
> >
> > * Speaking of the [BULK] thing, whoever keeps adding that would you
> > please edit your subject before sending the email to remove it?
> > Better yet, edit your rule/filter so it’s never added.  Highly
> > annoying that.

> list messages on the web archive:
> http://trinity-users.pearsoncomputing.net/ Please remember not to
> top-post: